Hoplias Lacerdae

BraveheartCalif

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2005
Bermuda
The pic above when you enlarge it and see the detail is most certainly an Australis - As defined by Oyakawa & Mattox

KRSwop1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Thanks for the input Brave. Well Felipe, I owe you an apology. I can admit when I am wrong. Brave definitely knows his wolves and I trust his word, so I asked him to have a look at this thread. So, once again I admit I was wrong and apologize for doubting you. I have learned something new, and am happy that I did. Do you have anymore photos of australis so that I can learn to better ID them? What other characteristics of australis help you to ID them? Thanks.

Felipe Cantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
Uruguay
www.aqvaterra.com
KRSwop1;3945716; said:
Thanks for the input Brave. Well Felipe, I owe you an apology. I can admit when I am wrong. Brave definitely knows his wolves and I trust his word, so I asked him to have a look at this thread. So, once again I admit I was wrong and apologize for doubting you. I have learned something new, and am happy that I did. Do you have anymore photos of australis so that I can learn to better ID them? What other characteristics of australis help you to ID them? Thanks.

Hmmm....but...if you "asked Brave to have a look at this thread" because "he knows his wolfs" and you "trust his word"....why dont you ask him for other photos of australis or characteristics of the sp. so you can learn to better ID them? ;)

KRSwop1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Because I didn't trust your word. That's why I asked him to have a look at this thread. He, someone who I know knows what he's talking about, validated everything you were saying. So now I believe what you have to say, and know that you have knowledge to share. I already man'd up and admitted that I was wrong and apologized, but don't expect me to grovel or for me to keep apologizing. Weather you accept it or not is up to you.

Felipe Cantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
Uruguay
www.aqvaterra.com
KRSwop1;3946126; said:
Because I didn't trust your word. That's why I asked him to have a look at this thread. He, someone who I know knows what he's talking about, validated everything you were saying. So now I believe what you have to say, and know that you have knowledge to share. I already man'd up and admitted that I was wrong and apologized, but don't expect me to grovel or for me to keep apologizing. Weather you accept it or not is up to you.

I would never expect you to gravel or keep apologizing...why should I do that?
And I hope this (very) long thread help some people in this forum to "know" a little bit more about the H.australis...but I also hope that people, and specially you, next time some professional "local" or "native" fishcollector visit this forum and try to share what he knows about his fishfauna and work, you "open your mind" and see that over 20 years of fieldwork means much more than you can imagine....and that whit out our work, most of these species would never be in your tanks.
I remember what you said to Matt about scientist when he said that they got info from us collectors;

"They don't just take the word of locals."

Wrong again...they listen much more than you think.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ

fishinman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2007
Where the sun don't shine
Thank you Felipe for all the information you have shared...I have learned a ton and finally got an ID for my wolf. I'm sure I will be contacting you towards the end of the year so I can visit Uruguay and collect some Hoplias for myself.

...and thanks KRSwop1 for pretty much driving the discussion:headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store