Diners Leave Waitress No Tip and Taunting Note

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/diners-leave-waitress-taunting-note-and-no-tip/ar-BBm3mMV

This sort of thing gets under my skin. many here know my stance on tipping. So she didn't deserve the taunting note on the receipt (which was pretty tame anyways) but who cares if she didn't get a tip? apparently people do, but i don't. They had to wait an hour for their food. that would suck really bad to have to wait that long.

and she goes to social media for attention to "lament on the indignity" as the article worded it. give me a freaking break.

the poor waitress says:

Jones wrote that servers in New Jersey earn $2.50 an hour. For non-tipped workers in the Garden State, the minimum wage is $8.38.

"Most of my paychecks are less than pocket change because I have to pay taxes on the tips I make," she wrote. "I need tips to pay my bills. All waiters do. We spend an hour or more of our time befriending you, making you laugh, getting to know you, and making your dining experience the best it can be. We work hard, and we really do care."
first of all, stop lying about your pay. second, welcome to the real world, thousands struggle while going to college. third, lol at "making you laugh and getting to know you." as if any of that entitles you to extra money. those are things that should come with every customer service related job, tipped or non-tipping

even the mayor urged the public:

"If you visit Belmar please treat the hardworking men and women in our service industry with the same respect you would expect at your job. This is ridiculous," Doherty wrote.
thanks for being an enabler mayor!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
In the first place I would not have sat and waited anywhere near an hour for my food.....LOL @enabler.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Last month when I dine at Olive Garden in Time Square, NY, they added the tip to the total for party of 6. She served party of 8, I wonder if they did the same in NJ

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Last month when I dine at Olive Garden in Time Square, NY, they added the tip to the total for party of 6. She served party of 8.
I would have had a problem with them adding any amount of tip fee to the bill.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
I would tip her if I found out she payed for UFC pay-per-views
see, you're part of the problem. she obviously is poor at managing her finances. living out of her means. ordering ppvs when she is a struggling college student. that ppv money could've paid the electricity, or gas, or ramen noodle for a month

i'm not gonna reward her poor choices. she should stream the fights online. it's free and legal

john and krich, it's common practice for places to charge an automatic gratuity for parties of 8 or more. so you might be right john, they probably did already take out an 18% gratuity fee for that bill, but her self entitlement probably made her feel she should be tipped on top of that

Last edited:

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
While I'm protipping when the service is above average ... if I owned a restaurant, posting this on social media would be an immediate termination. Very unprofessional.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
While I'm protipping when the service is above average ... if I owned a restaurant, posting this on social media would be an immediate termination. Very unprofessional.
totally agree

the thing too is, it wasn't even personal. the waitress took it personal. the note and no tip was to let the restaurant know that waiting an hour for their food was unacceptable.

that's the way I take it anyways. if I was a tipper, i'd not tip also in that situation. sorry it has to be the waiter/waitress that seems to be on the receiving end of my frustration, but i'm not tipping if I waited an hour for my food. the food joint needs to manage the kitchen staff better for peak hours

that note they left seriously shouldn't have rustled all the feathers it did

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
LOL! It had to be in NJ, I knew it.

If the wait was because of her, I say stiff her if you want it's your money do what you want with it. The note wasn't necessary but even so big deal, grow up and get over it. If the wait was because the place was crowded and the kitchen was backed up as long as she was a good waitress otherwise then I would leave her a tip if it's out of her control. Then let them know you'll never go back again, that's how you affect the owner, stiffing the waitress isn't the answer.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
But why take it out on the waitress when she has no control of the food arrival but did her job well otherwise?
As for the gratuity charge for groups of eight or more,I don't like it and I don't know how they get away with doing it...The restaurant owners have a small amount of control over the patrons money.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store