Diners Leave Waitress No Tip and Taunting Note

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
I remember that waitress that got a note telling her to lose weight

now that is childish and mean. but the note in this incident, I feel is understandable and she should realize they know it's not her fault, but they were just unhappy with the wait

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
But why take it out on the waitress when she has no control of the food arrival but did her job well otherwise?
As for the gratuity charge for groups of eight or more,I don't like it and I don't know how they get away with doing it...The restaurant owners have a small amount of control over the patrons money.
I agree it's not in her control. what I disagree with is the feeling of entitlement. as if she was wronged. leaving a tip is not mandatory and is entirely up to the customer.

if she was short of her rightful min pay, she needs to follow the steps within her rights and get it from her employer. no one took anything out on her because she isn't owed anything or entitled to anything outside of her pay

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
With me tipping is feast or famine. To me anyone who tips at all for bad service is making it worse. Then the server thinks they can keep up terrible service and still make good tips. If your service is amazing I will leave a great tip. If not you get nothing. You know you have done something. You possibly learn from it.

I also agree I would have fired here for posting the receipt online. This is totally unnecessary. A lame attempt at getting her 15 minutes of fame I guess.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I agree it's not in her control. what I disagree with is the feeling of entitlement. as if she was wronged. leaving a tip is not mandatory and is entirely up to the customer.

if she was short of her rightful min pay, she needs to follow the steps within her rights and get it from her employer. no one took anything out on her because she isn't owed anything or entitled to anything outside of her pay
I gotcha....and agree.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
I bet her checks are minimal but she misdirected us on purpose. The bulk of her take home is the tips. Why do we care how small her checks are when its not even 20% her pay?

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I was once belligerent enough to leave service advice as a tip, in a small brewery tasting room that does not provide table service and requires patrons to visit the bar for their drinks. My wife went to the bar, and there was nobody there, so she came back without (my) beer. Just then, the bartender walked past our table, she tried to order me the beer, and said she would have to go to the bar for service... anyway, the guys at the bar took my "tip" and contacted me on facebook (by my name on the credit card, i assume) and suggested that next time I was in, they would buy me a beer for any hard feelings. They also made it clear that my "tip" was not fully coherent... and that they did not mean any offense, which I had obviously taken.

I am not really sure where I am going with this... but, I never had the balls to walk in and ask for the beer they had offered... Probably because when I told my wife about it the next day, she made it clear what an ******* I was being that night...

Clearly I enjoyed their double IPA...

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
I would have had a problem with them adding any amount of tip fee to the bill.
I believe some places will add 18% gratuity for any party of 6 or more. I believe NY still do it, but I was not sure about NJ, because when we ate out in NJ at the beach, it was only party of 4, so I figured out the tip by myself (even the waitress accidently poured a glass of water over my back when she brought the drink to the table :eek: Fortunately, it was a hot day, so I wasn't too "hot" over it) I don't know if they passed a law in CA, but in the past couple of years, they stopped doing it. They just put at the bottom of the receipt a suggestion amount of 15%, 18%, 20% of the total to help out those who has hard time to do the math, like my wife, for instance. We took my son to get a hair cut last Saturday. $7 for the hair cut, and she tipped $5 :(

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
john and krich, it's common practice for places to charge an automatic gratuity for parties of 8 or more. so you might be right john, they probably did already take out an 18% gratuity fee for that bill, but her self entitlement probably made her feel she should be tipped on top of that
You're right on with the "entitlement" thing... I have the same thought when I see thing like this, whine on social media just because you get "bad" tip. It's occupational hazard. Deal with it. Same like when I read article criticized celebrity for not leaving big tip, or Damian Lillard flight coach. So what?

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I always get laughs out of sumo's tipping threads. I have never known someone so adamantly opinionated about it in all my life.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store