C. Regani "tapajos" possible spawning behavior

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Hi jam toast,
I think if I were you, I would add some proper caves. I use either plant pots, with a hole cut out, coconut shells with a hole cut through a whole she'll, or properly made small caves , like for Apisto. I only ever have one hole per cave, I don't think they like more.
I would put the temp at about 27 C, get the ph around ph6, and drop the Gh down as low as you can.
I would then top it all, with 2 days of heavy feeding on brine shrimp and bloodworm, 3 or 4 times a day, and carry out a 20% water change 3 days on the trot.
that should get then going, and once again , good luck
Graham

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Hi,

Got a call yesterday, my lfs has just brought back some more Crenicichla notopthalmus purus, some C.regani orinoro and some Retroculus lapidifer and xinguensis, so I'm off to collect them tommorow

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Over the pond....notophthalmus are very aggressive to conspecific. If you get a group, separate the females and allow them to grow out. I've noticed females to be disproportionately absent in groups. The shipments I've seen have been male heavy.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Just I said said that I went to look at mine closely. A group of 14 whittled down to 2 in a 150 and this while time I thought it was two males. Well, turns out the smaller one is a female!

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
I have my two males and two females in a 220 liter tank, the males (just as in C.regani), started off smaller, but have now got to the same size.
I've just put a trio of C . Compressiceps in with them , just overnight, and theve all been arguing about who's having which patch, tommorow the compressiceps are moving to another tank.

My regani, had to be split up, the male began chasing and attacking the female, so she is with all her fry, in a 4ft tank, whilst he's okay in a tank of S.daemon and acuticeps

I think most dwarf pikes seem to have this ph problem which affects sexes. I'm certain it occurs in regani and seemingly also in notopthalmus.

I'm picking up some C.regani (orinoco) tommorow, plus some more C.regani (purus). To go with the six I already have.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrobxc

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
There are no Cr. regani reported from the Orinoco area ... so you will most likely be getting either Cr. wallacii, affin notopthalmus, sp. Orinoco dwarf, or sp. Inridiae dwarf with those ...

Not sure on that second one.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrobxc

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Really, well Rappes was recently advertising some, and the fish I got today came from a Wholesaler called Glasser's , they are the largest importer of tropical fish in the world.

These fish have come in as Crenicichla regani "Orinoco". So that's who I believe - for now.

However, I have looked at them and they are very similar to some notopthalmus that I have, I also have a third species named c.regani "purus"., which came again from Glasser , they have almost identical spotting of ocellii in the dorsal. However I think these regani purus should actually be notopthalmus purus

I will get around to show some photos soon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store