pentair fiberglass tanks with viewing windows

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I bought two fiberglass-with-acrylic-window 4500 gal tanks from Dolphin Fiberglass, Homestead, FL. I had to fiberglass them together as they came in 4 pieces each. What I've learned is that once the finish (colored) resin cures, one cannot simply brush new resin over it and hope it sticks. It won't.

The finish resin has wax in it, which migrates to the resin-air surface during the curing and thus forms that hard, glossy finish to the cured resin. To apply more resin over it, one must sand down the wax layer, which is quite laborious. Otherwise, it will start flaking off sooner or later. I know this because I've gone beyond the sanded areas when I seamed my 4500's together.

So, if I had to guess, this may be what happened when they were making your tanks. The crookedness of the window on 600 gal is obvious and does not help trusting their workmanship.

Even if this is what happened, this may not lead to a leak because the pigment-and-wax containing finish resin is the last layer applied (and it does not contain any glass fiber or cloth). The main wall is made with the same resin but lacking the wax and the pigment. It's kind of brownish, semi-opaque in color. So chances are, that resin must be good - hard to imagine them misformulating or misapplying both resin kinds.

So I think you should not get a leak and structurally these should be fine. The aesthetics may take a hit however small or significant.

The finish resin with the pigment and wax does add to the overall watertightness of the wall, I was told by the Dolphin FG.

You can read about all this in my thread I had linked above and it is found in my signature, first link. Just skim through the pages until you see huge blue tubs being fiberglassed together in the photos.

Last edited:

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
How much did one of the 4500 gallon fiberglass fish tanks cost also how big was the viewing window on it? Also what type of fish do you keep in it?

The reason why I'm asking is my idea of buying a 200 gallon fish tank got killed. So now I'm going to get a steel building next year and have a giant fish tank brought in.

JohnTr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2015
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter your 4500 gallons tank pics please. And size also. It is huge like a pool.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks, Cameron.

thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter your 4500 gallons tank pics please. And size also. It is huge like a pool.
Inside footprint is 12'x12', depth is 4'6" to the rim. You can see it in the first two links in my signature.

ORR: How much did one of the 4500 gallon fiberglass fish tanks cost
TBTB: In 2011 I paid $15,500 for each. It's expensive but the quality and the workmanship and the experience of the guys building these is top notch imho.

ORR: also how big was the viewing window on it?
TBTB: 8'x4'x2.5". Visible area is 7.5'x3.5'.

ORR: Also what type of fish do you keep in it?
TBTB: All kinds. I have just provided a video update to all my tanks a week ago. You can see it in either of the first two links in my signature.

ORR: The reason why I'm asking is my idea of buying a 200 gallon fish tank got killed. So now I'm going to get a steel building next year and have a giant fish tank brought in.
TBTB: Now that's cooking with oil!

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I'm currently looking at least a acre of land to building my steel building with a small creek running next to it.

Do to me planning to build a steel garage like building from the ground up I'm debating if I should have a room sized fish tank pored out of cement or should I have a giant fiberglass tank brought in that could be moved to another house if I move.

Fishy-Botany

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
What a ****show of a company, I hope you get all of your money back. One way or another

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
**** this company....$60 are u serious...what a slap in face

View attachment 1179504

lmfaooooooo, $1 for each 100 gallon

well was going to save this for my build thread, but progress is going slow. Front left corner is all scruff up on the INSIDE. Now I will never look/see that area once tank is filled, but when u pay for new product u expect new quality. Also when I took a paper towel to wipe down the dust, I picked up tiny blue flakes. Im still filling this B, if it starts flaking/chipping like crazy Im getting a new one. My fish r still small so no issue going back to old tank. SandNukka15 SandNukka15 best wishes man, I rly hope things go well with gettin a new tank and no other issues arises.

20160418_230023.jpg

20160418_225539.jpg

20160418_225556.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: McPhish and ATF
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store