Geophagus ID

NHKG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2015
Ostrava, Czech Republic
On photos is fish labelled as "Geophagus sp. rio Negro". Photos are made by mine friends who own this fish. This fish is common in local fish stores and fish tanks here (Czech republic and Slovak republic). But when I look on web sites and forums from other countries, this fish is extremely rare there and all about this fish is written by peoples from Czech republic and Slovak republic.
Can you please ID this fish? I am pretty sure, this fish is just colour form of some more common Geophagus.
More photos here: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/geophagus-sp-rio-negro.642086/

n3.jpg

n4.jpg

n5.jpg

n6.jpg

n7.jpg

n8.jpg

Negro.jpg

Negro2.jpg

Last edited:

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Looks like Dicrozoster or winemilleri to me.
It hard to see the barring.do the first bars join and form a y shape?
The black cheek marks indicate these species.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Kayzee

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
some looks like geophagus surinamensis, no clue though.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Geophagus surinamensis is a rare fish in the hobby.
Also I would not class these geos as small fish.
They are capable of reaching at least 10 inches in time..

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Brachybranchus maybe? There are a few similar geos with a black mark on the cheek, including dicrozoster, brachybranchus, winemilleri, and proximus, and I'm not great at distinguishing them. Imo they appear to be misidentified or confused at times in photos and by exporters and sellers, and color can look different on them depending on food, lighting, and possibly exact location they were collected, all of which doesn't help. Don't think winemilleri due to the spotted rather than striped tail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store