my 125 gallon Central American cichlid tank

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
So I talked about making a change...

The problem is that I'm not happy with the sand. It's just a mess and a pain to work with. Vacuuming refuse is a pain; I've basically stopped. Cleaning algae from the bottom edge of the glass is a pain and stresses me out because I worry about scratches. Plus they spit it all over the rocks, which have a thin coat of algae on them, so it just piles up there; it's not the look I wanted for my rocks. Also, the filter returns blow it around a bit.

I anticipated these issues but figured I could deal with them since I had decided that Thorichthys were the fish I want, and Thorichthys are eartheaters. They suck up a mouthful of sand and spit it back out and/or blow it out of their gills. They do this a lot; it's basically how they eat unless they are pulling something out of the water column. They also do it when it's dark and they can't see. In the morning, the whole substrate is covered with little craters where they were searching for food at night.

I'm strongly considering swapping the sand for a fine gravel. The gravel I am looking at is Caribsea Peace River. It's about as fine as you can get without it being sand. Here is a video someone posted that gives some idea of the consistency of the stuff:

So therein lies my dilemma. I love my Thorichthys but don't like the sand. The obvious question: Is sand absolutely required for these fish? I'm thinking yes, which is why I chose it. But I'm not certain how they would do with a fine gravel. I don't want my fish to live in less than ideal circumstances.

I'm not worried about any of the other fish. The sajicas and EBJD never eat sand. The centrarchus do it a little, but it's not their modus operandi.

Assuming I go forward with a substrate swap, here are some options I'm considering:
  1. Keep the mixtecos and make them deal with it.
  2. Keep the biggest mixteco specimens (~5) and rehome the runts.
  3. Rehome all the mixtecos and replace with something else, probably Cryptoheros nanoluteus.
Thoughts? I'm bummed because I love these fish. :(

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I have some mixteco blue coming on Thursday from the same seller. I'm very excited to get them. I've kept the "gold" and "green" in the past but never blue.

Also, amazing tank btw. I absolutely love the look. :)
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. You will love these fish. I hope you got a bunch because they are social.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
So I talked about making a change...

The problem is that I'm not happy with the sand. It's just a mess and a pain to work with. Vacuuming refuse is a pain; I've basically stopped. Cleaning algae from the bottom edge of the glass is a pain and stresses me out because I worry about scratches. Plus they spit it all over the rocks, which have a thin coat of algae on them, so it just piles up there; it's not the look I wanted for my rocks. Also, the filter returns blow it around a bit.

I anticipated these issues but figured I could deal with them since I had decided that Thorichthys were the fish I want, and Thorichthys are eartheaters. They suck up a mouthful of sand and spit it back out and/or blow it out of their gills. They do this a lot; it's basically how they eat unless they are pulling something out of the water column. They also do it when it's dark and they can't see. In the morning, the whole substrate is covered with little craters where they were searching for food at night.

I'm strongly considering swapping the sand for a fine gravel. The gravel I am looking at is Caribsea Peace River. It's about as fine as you can get without it being sand. Here is a video someone posted that gives some idea of the consistency of the stuff:

So therein lies my dilemma. I love my Thorichthys but don't like the sand. The obvious question: Is sand absolutely required for these fish? I'm thinking yes, which is why I chose it. But I'm not certain how they would do with a fine gravel. I don't want my fish to live in less than ideal circumstances.

I'm not worried about any of the other fish. The sajicas and EBJD never eat sand. The centrarchus do it a little, but it's not their modus operandi.

Assuming I go forward with a substrate swap, here are some options I'm considering:
  1. Keep the mixtecos and make them deal with it.
  2. Keep the biggest mixteco specimens (~5) and rehome the runts.
  3. Rehome all the mixtecos and replace with something else, probably Cryptoheros nanoluteus.
Thoughts? I'm bummed because I love these fish. :(
They should be fine with a fine gravel. :) all the thorichthys I've kept in the past have been in a fine gravel.

Oh and I've got 10 of them coming and I can't wait :)

Reactions: cichlidfish

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
They should be fine with a fine gravel. :) all the thorichthys I've kept in the past have been in a fine gravel.

Oh and I've got 10 of them coming and I can't wait :)
Cool, 10 will be a nice group. What happened to the greens and golds you use to have? What size tank are they going into?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the gravel. Did they still eat it and spit it out?

I'm still undecided and would like more opinions.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Cool, 10 will be a nice group. What happened to the greens and golds you use to have? What size tank are they going into?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the gravel. Did they still eat it and spit it out?

I think you'll be fine w/ that gravel.

Reactions: Jason_S

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA

When they were small they'd sift through the pieces of gravel, but as they got older and big enough they'd take it up by the mouthful just as if it were sand.

As to the greens and goods I referred to, I have had them for several years. I haven't had a tank for 4 or 5 years...just now getting back into it :)

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
When they were small they'd sift through the pieces of gravel, but as they got older and big enough they'd take it up by the mouthful just as if it were sand.

As to the greens and goods I referred to, I have had them for several years. I haven't had a tank for 4 or 5 years...just now getting back into it :)
I'm just getting back into it too. I set my tank up about 3 months ago, have had fish for about 2 months. I had discus before that, I think I tore that down around 2009 or so.

Reactions: jamntoast

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Personally I would not choose gravel over sand for a thorichthys tank. Like the others have said you may be fine.I have however known a few hobbyists loose thorichthys by them getting gravel lodged in their throat.
They are central American eartheaters.would you keep geophagus over gravel?
Adam you have some very nice thorichthys f1 with catch location. Is it worth the risk however slim?
When your plants grow and your lotus lily's start to diffuse the light and start eating up more nutrients and Nitrate your algea problem should start to subside.You could also try reducing your lighting hours a little and see if that helps.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Thanks Darren. I wouldn't characterize it as an algae problem per se. The buildup of algae is minimal, just near the bottom, where lower light causes the soft brown algae to accumulate. It's not a problem, but it needs to be cleaned. I've actually been rubbing it off with my fingers since using any kind of cloth or scrubber could cause scratches.

Also, my nitrate is always at 0.

So far, two people say it would be ok, one says nay. I was also leaning nay, for the reasons Darren articulated.

Still undecided on what I'm going to do...

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I
Thanks Darren. I wouldn't characterize it as an algae problem per se. The buildup of algae is minimal, just near the bottom, where lower light causes the soft brown algae to accumulate. It's not a problem, but it needs to be cleaned. I've actually been rubbing it off with my fingers since using any kind of cloth or scrubber could cause scratches.

Also, my nitrate is always at 0.

So far, two people say it would be ok, one says nay. I was also leaning nay, for the reasons Darren articulated.

Still undecided on what I'm going to do...
I agree on brown algae. I actually like some algae in my tanks. But how does it grow at 0 nitrate? In a cycled tank you should have some nitrate. I wish I could keep mine down from 20ppm even though it's safe.

Reactions: Jason_S
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store