my 125 gallon Central American cichlid tank

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Another tip for algea is work with it.I hear so many people complaining about algea in their tank.I love the stuff.It creates a very healthy environment and managed well can create a very natural and pleasing effect.
There is some nice bright green algae growing on my wood that I like. I'm not messing with it. My tank doesn't have an algae "problem" per se though, not sure if I gave that impression. Any tank is going to grow some algae, it's just the bit at the edge of the sand that makes maintenance less than care-free.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I just became enamored with Thorichthys (still am), and decided to go for it anyway. Actually, it's all your fault for having such beautiful fish. :p
Who me? I only keep crappy firemouths :))

Regarding maintenance. Every sport has its injuries. I have had scratches in the past but I think awareness of how sand can scratch your tank is the first best step to prevention.
Personally I would rather risk the odd scratch than look at gravel.
I do understand though.The scratches I have really piss me off.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Who me? I only keep crappy firemouths :)
Lol, true.

Personally I would rather risk the odd scratch than look at gravel.
I do like the look of sand. And I agree that large gravel is not that attractive. I think the fine gravel looks pretty good though.

I do understand though.The scratches I have really piss me off.
I've decided I have zero tolerance for scratches. I have too much work (and money) into this tank with the drilling, painting, etc. So far so good but I know it's just a matter of time with sand.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Have you looked into some of the dirt type substrates used for planted tanks.
They would be ideal for fish that like to sift through the substrate and has no sharp particles.Your plants would thrive in it too.
I don't know the trade names for these substrates off the top of my head, a quick Google search for planting substrates should bring them up.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Have you looked into some of the dirt type substrates used for planted tanks.
They would be ideal for fish that like to sift through the substrate and has no sharp particles.Your plants would thrive in it too.
I don't know the trade names for these substrates off the top of my head, a quick Google search for planting substrates should bring them up.
Right, like Eco Complete. I've looked at it and would probably use it if I ever did a heavily planted tank. I'm not sure it's less sharp than that gravel I'm looking at. It's basically a porous rock. It's not really what I want for this tank though.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I've decided for sure that I do want to get rid of the sand.

I need to make a decision on the mixtecos. The problem with rehoming them is the chance they will end up better off than with me is basically nil. Once I remove them to empty out the tank, they would need to be rehomed that same day or within a day or so. I don't have a 2nd tank, and I'm not getting one right now. The chances finding of someone competent enough to care for them around here within that small window, even for free, is basically nil.

So that means taking them to the LFS. They would have large gravel while in the store, and if they sold, who would buy them? What are the chances they end up in sand and in good hands? Probably slightly greater than nil. They might just end up getting dumped in with the firemouths (crapiness notwithstanding), which risks hybrids getting into the hobby.

All this means I'm leaning toward just keeping them. Actually, I would cull some of them. There are 4-5 little runts that just aren't growing, and 14 is more than I really wanted anyway. So I may pick the 9-10 best ones and keep them.

Once I get the new substrate down, I'll take another look at livebearers to finish the tank.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I've decided for sure that I do want to get rid of the sand.

I need to make a decision on the mixtecos. The problem with rehoming them is the chance they will end up better off than with me is basically nil. Once I remove them to empty out the tank, they would need to be rehomed that same day or within a day or so. I don't have a 2nd tank, and I'm not getting one right now. The chances finding of someone competent enough to care for them around here within that small window, even for free, is basically nil.

So that means taking them to the LFS. They would have large gravel while in the store, and if they sold, who would buy them? What are the chances they end up in sand and in good hands? Probably slightly greater than nil. They might just end up getting dumped in with the firemouths (crapiness notwithstanding), which risks hybrids getting into the hobby.

All this means I'm leaning toward just keeping them. Actually, I would cull some of them. There are 4-5 little runts that just aren't growing, and 14 is more than I really wanted anyway. So I may pick the 9-10 best ones and keep them.

Once I get the new substrate down, I'll take another look at livebearers to finish the tank.
Either keep them or give/trade something to/with me lol. I would love to own them again. I wouldn't cull unless they are deformed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store