Oldest Synodontis velifer?

Xeno

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Germany
Hey,
I'm keeping a pair of S.velifer for 12 years now.
Are there any reported cases of older fish of this species?

The very similar Synodontis eupterus is stated with a maximum age of 12 years.
I'm kind of scared I might lose my two Synodontis within the next year or so.
Right now they are still looking fine not as "thick" as they used to be but still healthy!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
49? No way!?

25-30 years is not too uncommon but each is the most remarkable achievement for 100% sure, per this thread: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30928&hilit=eupterus+lifespan

Are you sure of your syno ID? Never heard / seen one of these. PCF doesn't even have any photos, only drawings: http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=1438
use fb to search for Deborah Bruning She posted a video and you can ask her about the cat.. she is very friendly. I believe someone from MFK was suppose to interview her.

Xeno

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Germany
Hey,
I wasn´t sure about the ID either.
Always thought these would be Eupterus but since they stopped growing with a length of about 14cm and still looking similar to Eupterus there are only 2 options:
Hybrids or S.velifer.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
use fb to search for Deborah Bruning She posted a video and you can ask her about the cat.. she is very friendly. I believe someone from MFK was suppose to interview her.
Hey, Vince. Thanks but I'm not on FB. I've no time for social media apart from MFK and PCF.

Hey,
I wasn´t sure about the ID either.
Always thought these would be Eupterus but since they stopped growing with a length of about 14cm and still looking similar to Eupterus there are only 2 options:
Hybrids or S.velifer.
May I ask, for my benefit if nothing else, if you would be willing to post good photographs on Planet Catfish for ID purposes?

Or you can post them here and then, if necessary, I can create an ID thread on PCF for you. If you wanted to.

If you posted pics here, perhaps we could ID them here too, if the case is rather simple. IDK your level of expertise in syno ID, sorry. No implications here. Just looking to grow in the hobby.

Xeno

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Germany
Hey,
Of course I can!
As soon as I've got my new Pc I'll have access to the pictures of those Synodontis again.
Or maybe I'm able to shoot a picture and upload it via smartphone.

Here in Germany you'll find Czech hybrids every now and then.
Right now Decorus x Multipunctatus are available.
I cannot exclude the possibility of my two Synodontis being hybrids of Eupterus and a smaller species!

But they are not showing any traits of a smaller species.
They look like smaller Eupterus with not that long 'filaments'.

I've already kept real Eupterus but their body looked different.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yes, the syno trade has been badly marred (IMHO) with all the man-made animals. So wrong. In the US ~50% of all synos sold are hybrids.

But we'll be looking forward to your pics. Make sure they are good. Can net the fish and bring it to the front glass if needed too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store