Parachromis friedrichsthalii id help

Rsc89

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
Here are the pics of my 4.5" females. It was hard to get pics as they are quick and moving around had to snap a fast one when they stopped. I currently have them in a QT tank to make sure no nasties pop up on them. When they are not washed out they are a yellow with black stripes and a yellow head.20161031_120433.jpg 20161031_120707.jpg

Reactions: Twonvito

Twonvito

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
New York City
www.brooklynaquatics.com
Here are the pics of my 4.5" females. It was hard to get pics as they are quick and moving around had to snap a fast one when they stopped. I currently have them in a QT tank to make sure no nasties pop up on them. When they are not washed out they are a yellow with black stripes and a yellow head.View attachment 1211859 View attachment 1211858
Do your females show and blue I'm the dorsal fins?

Rsc89

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
That one on the top appears to but its just the lighting. I keep all my fish under white led lights as it shows their real colors imo. This tank is just a qt tank i set up. The light on this tank is some type of grow light which gives everything in the tank a "blue hue". My large male is the only one showing blue in the tail and dorsal. All my females dont show any blue in any of their fins. The females are pretty much black and yellow

Twonvito

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
New York City
www.brooklynaquatics.com
That one on the top appears to but its just the lighting. I keep all my fish under white led lights as it shows their real colors imo. This tank is just a qt tank i set up. The light on this tank is some type of grow light which gives everything in the tank a "blue hue". My large male is the only one showing blue in the tail and dorsal. All my females dont show any blue in any of their fins. The females are pretty much black and yellow
Ok, cool. I guess I gotta wait from them to grow a bit

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Congrats on the myrnae, they are a great species to keep and breed easily, and show great parental care. I kept my pair in a 75 gal tank with swordtails as dither, and they'd spawn regularly.

Twonvito

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
New York City
www.brooklynaquatics.com
Congrats on the myrnae, they are a great species to keep and breed easily, and show great parental care. I kept my pair in a 75 gal tank with swordtails as dither, and they'd spawn regularly.

Thank you, I'm waiting for them to arrive right now in the mail. I owned them previously with nanoluteus but all of them. So this time I'm only going have them in a tank with zebra danios. I feed them flakes before. Do you have any tips on food?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
By the way, just so no one thinks I missed the gist of this thread, here is a video I took in Cenote Aktun Ha, a natural habitat of P friedrichstalli. There is a female about 1 minute in, and some juvies throughout. Gives a good sense of their natural aquascape, and fish they share habitat with.
Aktun Ha

Twonvito

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
New York City
www.brooklynaquatics.com
By the way, just so no one thinks I missed the gist of this thread, here is a video I took in Cenote Aktun Ha, a natural habitat of P friedrichstalli. There is a female about 1 minute in, and some juvies throughout. Gives a good sense of their natural aquascape, and fish they share habitat with.
Aktun Ha
Lol.. yes, I seen that video. It was very good to watch. How long ago did you take the trip? Did you bring anything back with you?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I believe it was 2013 or 14.
And I didn't bring any back, collecting, keeping alive in transit on flights, and trying to go thru customs is not so easy. The paperwork to do it legitimately is quite complicated and grueling, not to mention expensive. I give a bow to those who get the proper permits and go thru the trouble.
You'll notice in the vdeo, they are not densely populated. I circumvented the entire cenote at least twice, and saw maybe 1 every 20 ft or so, maybe only 10 individuals in all. The video is edited down from an hour of shooting, in most of it there weren't any, just Astyaax tetras, and live bearers. It may have been different if I used hook and line, and fished it in a deep area.
Where I live in Panama at the moment, no animals can leave the country unless a research permit is acquired.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store