Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
The herbie drain is definitely worth looking into. I run it on my 150. I used the original drain line for my main drain, and used the hole originally meant for the return as my emergency drain. Then I just ran a return line from the pump up the back of the tank. For a quick overview... Put your main drain several inches below the water level for a full siphon. The height of the emergency drain should be the height of the water level in the overflow. Use a valve on the main drain to regulate water height in overflow box.View attachment 1220555 View attachment 1220556
Thank you so much for the explanation and pictures, made me understand t better than the YouTube videos I saw. Ok so I get it now pretty much I run two pipes on the overflow going down to sump. And my return is just an additional Hose through the back and i can even add a spray bar or something
Okay I think I can manage that,
Does the 2 drain pipes go down and connect into 1 before hitting the sump?

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Thank you so much for the explanation and pictures, made me understand t better than the YouTube videos I saw. Ok so I get it now pretty much I run two pipes on the overflow going down to sump. And my return is just an additional Hose through the back and i can even add a spray bar or something
Okay I think I can manage that,
Does the 2 drain pipes go down and connect into 1 before hitting the sump?
No. The emergency drain remains separate from the main drain. In a perfect world, you'd probably want your main drain to be smaller than your emergency drain to ensure your E drain can handle the full turnover rate in the rare case of a complete blockage of the main drain. I took the risk of using the larger pipe as my main to get a higher turnover rate.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
No. The emergency drain remains separate from the main drain. In a perfect world, you'd probably want your main drain to be smaller than your emergency drain to ensure your E drain can handle the full turnover rate in the rare case of a complete blockage of the main drain. I took the risk of using the larger pipe as my main to get a higher turnover rate.
Okay I get you, both drains lead to sump though right into the filtersocks. I was going to use Just one filter sock for my main drain, but in this case I would have to use 2 for both drains right ?

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
The emergency drain does not need to go to a filter sock. It for the most part will remain dry other than, well, emergencies lol.
Oh okay sorry I thought the emergency drain led to sump as well, so pretty much the valve goes on it and it remains closed so no water goes through that drain pipe

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Oh okay sorry I thought the emergency drain led to sump as well, so pretty much the valve goes on it and it remains closed so no water goes through that drain pipe
The E drain does lead to the sump, just not into a filter sock. The E drain also will not have a valve. The main drain will be the one with the valve. If you take a look at the pics I posted, you'll see flex pipe next to the main drain with the valve. That is my emergency drain pipe.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
ragin_cajun ragin_cajun
DN328 DN328
J jaws7777

These guys might be able to explain things better than me...

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
You basically have a siphon drain which is your main drain. On the siphon drain you'll put a gate valve so you can easily adjust it. The em drain doesnt have to go througj the filter sock because in a perfect world it will never be used. The purpose of the e drain is to take on flow in the event your siphon drain gets clogged. That way the main tank wont flood.

What size plumbing are you using and what gph is your pump rated for ?

I havent set up a herbie yet so take any advice i give witha grain of salt. Have been researching it forever though lol for an upcoming set up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store