Alligator gar

Demon012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
uk
I just rescued a alligator gar about 9inches from someone that had him in a 2ft tank, the bottom tip of his jaw is missing I assume from bad water e.t.c is it possible that it can grow back,, I have got him in a 8ft x 2ft x 3ft tank now and he is eating well, any advice welcome on his jaw problem

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
It just depends on how much is missing. But these fish are incredibly resilient keep up with the water changes and feedings and he will be a true monster some day. Do you have a plan for when he outgrows your tank?

Demon012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
uk
Iam building a 9ft by 3ft by 3ft to add to my fish room at the moment and that will be me done, lol... that will be tank number 7.... When he out grows that he will have to go to my local sealife centre, you shouldn't get these sort of fish unless you can house them but I couldn't leave him in that little tank the bloke had him in, I allso took a pacu of him that he had in a 200 litre tank he is 16 inches long he couldn't even turn round,, it's disgusting what some people do,,, I put a picture up of his jaw in 20 min see what you think,, iam not sure that' it's going to grow back... Happy xmas

Demon012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
uk
I rescued a couple of pangasius high fin of someone 6 months ago he had them in a 80litre tank,, lol,, they are lovely fish they are about 17 inches now but unfortunately it's time for them to move on, if I had a swimming pool to put them in I would love to keep them,,, the sea life centre is tanking them in a 2 weeks so the remander of there life can be lived out,,, amazing fish

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
it's disgusting what some people do
I agree, I love this hobby and a lot of good comes from us hobbyist being interested in the proper care of the animals that we take responsibility for.
But at the same time there are a lot of misinformed people keeping animals that they have no idea of there true size potential and the animal ends up suffering because of it.
Im glad you came along and did the right thing, for the fishes sake.

Demon012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
uk
Lol I just noticed my mistake, it's my spotted gar that has the problem with his jaw not my alligator gar,, to many Christmas beers,,, did you have some advice about his jaw or was you just pointing out my pissed up mistake in my message?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Lol I just noticed my mistake, it's my spotted gar that has the problem with his jaw not my alligator gar,, to many Christmas beers,,, did you have some advice about his jaw or was you just pointing out my pissed up mistake in my message?
Would need better close up pictures of it's jaw.. but it looks like he will be able to live out his life without that injury causing him too many problems. Happy Holidays

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store