SunSun Canister Filter Leaking Even with New Seal

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
Hi All,

I have a SunSun 3038 canister and have been using it for two years. No issues during first year of use. The filter started to leak on the second year and it leaks for a while even I put on a brand new seal. I just moved this week and I cleaned the filter today. The thing leaks fast, the new seal is only a few months old.

I used to own Eheim canister, but they are very expensive now.

What would you guys recommend? I don't have any filter running on my 75 oscar tank. So I need a good canister ASAP.

Thanks

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I have the same brand but the European version, two of them...no issues for 4-5 years. One of mine leaked once when I didn't sit the baskets properly and in turn the the filter head....I was oblivious to it...did it twice..The filter closes just fine but doesn't make a proper seal. Its very unlikely in my opinion that the issue is with the o'ring. Find where it leaks from exactly...If you have to, push over the filter head while it leaks...

I can't recommend a filter otherwise. If you find a brand that is extremely reliable, let me know....My eheim has been the most disappointing thing I ever had...failed three times due to certain moving parts cracking, leaked once too.

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
I could see the water stream down from one side of the filter during first leak yesterday. Today I took off the seal and cleaned it as well as the area where the seal sits. Now the leak is worse and I can see there are three water stream leaking from both side of the filter.

I see there are seals around the input and output heads. Do they need to be replaced? The water stream out when I shake the filter while it is tightly shut. So I believe there are multiple leaks in this filter.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Push down on it as much as you can with your hands and body weight...to see where exactly it leaks from. When a filter leaks, it always looks like there's multiple leaks....but its normally from certain area. If its not gushing out from the hose adaptor, then its not it.

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
I did push it down all the way using my body weight. The water leaks out from both sides when I tiled the filter to the right or left.

I have another new seal and I will put it on. Do you guys use any lube for the seal? I was thinking to get silicone tape from homedepot. I noticed some plastics section of where the seal sits has rigged surface. It is also in white color. That may cause the seal unable sit tightly all around the barrel head.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Try running it with the baskets completely empty, well seated, and the new o'ring. Make sure the filter is completely clean where the seal sits, under and around. The filter is not sealed properly if it leaks when tilted. These filters are pretty simple otherwise.

Rok55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
Cheyenne
Do you guys use any lube for the seal? I was thinking to get silicone tape from homedepot. I noticed some plastics section of where the seal sits has rigged surface. It is also in white color.
I have learned the hard way that any o-ring type seal needs to lubricated to operate properly. I always use a very thin (VERY THIN) coating of silicone lube on the entire surface of the o-ring/seal and make sure that the mating surfaces are absolutely clean. Even an extremely small strand of filter floss can cause a hard to find leak.

DO NOT USE SILICONE TAPE....... USE SILICONE LUBE

When replacing seals always replace all the seals .......... especially the inflow and outflow fitting seals. Little bit of lube goes a long way to solving leaks. Good Luck.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
^ Agreed. I use plumber's grease (silicone grease) on all seals and seal mating surfaces. My 4yr old sunsun 302 is still on all its original seals, as is my 3yr old Marineland C360. It's all about careful cleaning and using silicone grease.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Hi All,

I have a SunSun 3038 canister
Do you mean 303B?

I would also recommend checking the trays for proper sitting and generously applying silicone grease.

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
Sorry, I meant to say 303B.

I double checked everything and re-seated the seal and added Vaseline. The filter still leaks but at much slower rate. I would say a cup of water per 24 hours.

I carefully looked at the current seal and compared it to a new one. I didn't find the current seal is in a bad shape. So I am still using the seal with Vaseline.

I hope the leak will stop eventually. It happened to me a few times in the past. The leak stopped after a week or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store