Thorichthys pic thread

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
I would definitely not recommend you thin down the group. the more thorichthys you have,the better your chances of keeping a group successfully.
Infact it may be worth, if possible, getting a few more.
I had 12 helleri that I kept in a 4 foot for a while and I had no aggressive issues.I moved them to my 7x2x2 tank and I noticed an increase in aggression. Nothing to be too concerned about but definitely an increase.
Maculipinnis, (which is what ellioti are now known as)are generally considered the most aggressive of the thorichthys, so you will need plenty of decor to break up territories. It's also good if fish can get out of sight of each other when they need to.
You will witness a big upward step in aggression when they start to breed, Other members of the group soon learn to keep out of the way of breeding pairs.
Your proposed tank offers enough floor space for this to happen.
If you haven't already got any dither fish I would advise you add a group of swordtails. these will also keep pairs busy when they are defending eggs or young.Taking the eye off the other thorichthys for a while.
Hope this helps,good luck.

Thanks for the response.
This is roughly the tank they are going into there is a mound of lava rock holding up the right end of that driftwood and there are 4 more large java ferns on the left now as well. Behind the lava rock is also 4 very large giant jungle val. I am iffy on sword tails or smaller dithers as my bichirs may decide to eat them. (two sens and a gold dust). They ignore my cichlids but fish with a more narrow body shape.... I also have chcolates I have been growing out. The original intent was 5 EB acara, 5-8 ellioti, 1-2 chocolates and my bichirs.

Reactions: cichlidfish

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Reactions: cichlidfish

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Thanks so much to all who have posted! I love Thorichthys and haven't had the pleasure of keeping them. They are next on the list--as soon as I can set up a bigger tank. Have really enjoyed all the pics and info!
Which species are you interested in?

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
My Thoricthys Meeki
DSC_0034.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com