DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Which species are you interested in?
T. ellioti is what Im most interested in and my LFS has some juveniles but Im afraid they wont be happy in my 30long even as small as they are. Just don't know how fast they will grow....they are tiny right now.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
T. ellioti is what Im most interested in and my LFS has some juveniles but Im afraid they wont be happy in my 30long even as small as they are. Just don't know how fast they will grow....they are tiny right now.
All thorichthys seem to grow pretty slow. Meeki seem to grow the fastest IME.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I have 5 pasionis and 1 mixteco blue growing out in a 36g bow front. Once they get a little bigger they will be going in a 150g. But they are doing fine now, just can't stay in that 36g for life.

Reactions: Wiggie

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
God pasionis are gorgeous too. In about a year I plan to be a homeowner where Ill have a 75 for several Thorichthys species. So yes, I was originally thinking I could start the ellioti in the 30--just a pair which i have been eyeing for 3 weeks at LFS while tank cycled--with some dithers. Not looking to overstock. There is one male in there that's about 1.5-2", and 3 others which are much smaller who I think are all females. My parameters are perfect for them. The four of them have been in that tank together since they arrived and whenever I watch them there are 2 that hang together a lot. I think im going to get the dithers established, then stock the pair. If for some crazy reason they balloon into 5" fish in 6 months, the landlady will have to deal! I just want to own them for life you know? And provide the best environment. Not looking to have to get rid of them. And of course, i want them to eventually breed. Thanks for the comparison and encouragement. I think if I get some top-hanging dithers this will cut down on aggression if there is any. Will keep y'all posted.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
God pasionis are gorgeous too. In about a year I plan to be a homeowner where Ill have a 75 for several Thorichthys species. So yes, I was originally thinking I could start the ellioti in the 30--just a pair which i have been eyeing for 3 weeks at LFS while tank cycled--with some dithers. Not looking to overstock. There is one male in there that's about 1.5-2", and 3 others which are much smaller who I think are all females. My parameters are perfect for them. The four of them have been in that tank together since they arrived and whenever I watch them there are 2 that hang together a lot. I think im going to get the dithers established, then stock the pair. If for some crazy reason they balloon into 5" fish in 6 months, the landlady will have to deal! I just want to own them for life you know? And provide the best environment. Not looking to have to get rid of them. And of course, i want them to eventually breed. Thanks for the comparison and encouragement. I think if I get some top-hanging dithers this will cut down on aggression if there is any. Will keep y'all posted.
The good thing about their aggression is they rarely harm each other. They establish hirerarchies. Most of the fighting is sizing up each other, which you will see them square off like this pic (Lee Nuttall).

IMG_3296.JPG

Reactions: Athletic_Amph
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store