Today in the Fishroom ~ Talamancaheros sieboldii

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Talamancaheros Říčan & Novák, 2016
Type specimen, Heros sieboldii Kner, 1863
1 valid species, Talamancaheros sieboldii (Kner, 1863)
However of note, Talamancaheros sieboldii is restricted to populations from Panama. Costa Rica populations are treated as a separate species in the paper as Talamancaheros underwoodi (Regan, 1906
From the central scene fb page which confuses me

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The species seiboldi was once considered to be part of the genus Tomocichla (which I believe) is where the underwoodi name came from from. And I believe underwoodi was a synonym for Tomocichla tuba. Based on looks alone, I can see how they could be considered in the same genus.
I also found seiboldi to be nasty, even when kept in 100 gal+ tanks, the alpha would search out and destroy any lessor subordinates.
Pardon my photos, when next to the master.
young seiboldi

Tomocichla asfraci

T tuba

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
The species seiboldi was once considered to be part of the genus Tomocichla (which I believe) is where the underwoodi name came from from. And I believe underwoodi was a synonym for Tomocichla tuba. Based on looks alone, I can see how they could be considered in the same genus.
I also found seiboldi to be nasty, even when kept in 100 gal+ tanks, the alpha would search out and destroy any lessor subordinates.
Pardon my photos, when next to the master.
young seiboldi

Tomocichla asfraci

T tuba
Underwoodi is a synonym for Tomocichlia (circa 1908). You are spot on for nasty. Forget that they (she actaully) hammered four other siblings to death. I had five Metynsis in the tank as they were growing up. They (she) has killed three of them. I have Metynsis in almost all of my CA cichlid tanks....never a problem. This girl is just plain ugly.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Subbed for many updates!-)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You know, I believe my seiboldi alpha was also a female.
And the same thing happened with my tuba, I had 4 males, and a buddy had a large female, so I gave him all my males.
She systematically killed the males 1 by 1, until there was only 1 male left.
She spawned with him a few times, then bumped him off.
Here she is with a bunch of wrigglers, they are a sort of brown wavy line.

I ended up with some juvies who promptly killed each other off in a 150 gallon tank, I believe I didn't provide a strong enough current.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
You know, I believe my seiboldi alpha was also a female.
And the same thing happened with my tuba, I had 4 males, and a buddy had a large female, so I gave him all my males.
She systematically killed the males 1 by 1, until there was only 1 male left.
She spawned with him a few times, then bumped him off.
Here she is with a bunch of wrigglers, they are a sort of brown wavy line.

I ended up with some juvies who promptly killed each other off in a 150 gallon tank, I believe I didn't provide a strong enough current.

I'm thinking about dropping a divider in the tank. No access for a while. She already tore his causal fin.

nutty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
United Kingdom
Ok thanks, just asked as I have seen the name t underwoodi about wasn't sure if it was just a different catch location or a described species.
Talamancaheros Říčan & Novák, 2016
Type specimen, Heros sieboldii Kner, 1863
1 valid species, Talamancaheros sieboldii (Kner, 1863)
However of note, Talamancaheros sieboldii is restricted to populations from Panama. Costa Rica populations are treated as a separate species in the paper as Talamancaheros underwoodi (Regan, 1906
From the central scene fb page which confuses me
Yes that is correct and is from my Facebook page.

Currently Talamancaheros is split into two geographical species: T, underwoodi (Costa Rica) and T.sieboldii (Panama). According to Říčan et al, species are separated by breeding pattern only. Uwe Werner explains the different diagnostic traits between the two species in a earlier article for the DCG Informationen magazine. Time will tell if the diagnostics stand up to scrutiny. ;)

PS:

Herichthys underwoodi (1906, the oldest available name for sieboldii) is not to be confused with Tomocichla underwoodi (1908).

Last edited:

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
nutty nutty I saw the video you posted of your sieboldii yesterday, the pair looks great. I must say that this is one species where the female's colors are more beautiful (to me) than the male. Perhaps this is somehow related to people's experiences of the females being more dominant.

nutty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
United Kingdom
Thanks, she looks a stunner, especially with the warm orange tones on the unpaired fins.

Both should adopt the breeding dress colouration, but for some reason, the male hasn't. Maybe as you say dominance is having some sort of influence?

Here is a chart I made to identify gender differences in both young and adult fish.

Doc1sieboldii a-page0001_1 by Lee Nuttall, on Flickr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store