Texas/Mayan Hybrid Update-4 years later

901MFKer

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
A, A
So, 4 years ago I posted my Texas/Mayan hybrids. Since then, only one of them has survived. The surviving cichlid killed the other and is the most aggressive fish I've ever owned. He's my favorite fish and he has become a beautiful specimen! If anyone else has this cross, share pictures.

901MFKer

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
A, A
Yeah! He's a bad dude! Can't wait til I upgrade tanks this summer! Gonna get some other cichlids so he can interact, I'm gonna a few so the aggression will be spread around. Any suggestions on tank mates would be helpful!

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
You want to put tankmates in with that!! And people got upset with my fahaka community tank lol.... anyway it will need to be either large full grown aggressive cichlid species, to give them a chance to defend themselves, jag, Red Devil etc...However this could end up as a bloodbath. Or go totally non-cichlid and try with with a totally different body type such as birchir, snakehead, pike cichlid (I know it's a cichlid but bear with me), catfish or Odeo pike caracin. Or just do a large schooling dither fish? All just ideas and dependant on what you like and the tank size you upgrade to. But it will be a bit of trial and error.

901MFKer

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
A, A
I'm upgrading to a 300 gallon, I figured if I got some other big aggressive cichlids, I might be able to make it work. I want a red devil, cuban, A. Vieja. Also I want a school of firemouths(1 male and 3 females).

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
It sounds awesome but are you going to be able to find these fish full size, or at least large juveniles, as anything less will get shredded. That's the issue I have had with my fahaka community tank, just finding decent sized possibilities. I have given up and am growing out a bunch of tiddlers in my other tank too get the fish I want to add. It's really hard adding fish to a tank with a large aggressive dominate fish, but good luck and keep us posted.

901MFKer

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
A, A
It sounds awesome but are you going to be able to find these fish full size, or at least large juveniles, as anything less will get shredded. That's the issue I have had with my fahaka community tank, just finding decent sized possibilities. I have given up and am growing out a bunch of tiddlers in my other tank too get the fish I want to add. It's really hard adding fish to a tank with a large aggressive dominate fish, but good luck and keep us posted.
I can find plenty of big cichlids at my LFS, the owner does lots of trades.

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
I'd put a lot of cover in and go with tough small cichlids that don't threaten him like convict and salvini ... he might not see as a challenge ...even then they'd have to be fully grown and separated at the start and a ton of cover ...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store