Small Predatory Fish?

ygwilliam

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2017
California
I recently got a great deal on a 100 gallon tank and wan't to put predator fish in it. I was thinking an oscar but decided my tank was to narrow to keep one (it's only 16 inches wide). Does anybody have some suggestions on predatory cichlids that I could stock the tank with? I wan't something that will eventually eat live fish.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The problem with feeding live fish is that you can't breed enough of them unless you have more thanks than your predator fish. Then you are forced to buy them, and quarantine them for 6-8 weeks. If you do not quarantine, it will introduce sickness to your prized predator somewhere down the line. You are better off feeding frozen foods, and then getting them simplest and best nutrition, which are pellets.

Now if you feed live insects that is a different matter. You can easily buy them from a pet store or raise your own by gut loading them with the correct nutrition for your fish.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
It's fun to watch? and feeding them live fish will vary their diet. Any suggestions on small predator fish that will eat live fish?
Frozen fish will do the same, and dramatically less chance of introducing parasites or diseases. You can also get the same growth feeding bait worms.

ygwilliam

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2017
California
Frozen fish will do the same, and dramatically less chance of introducing parasites or diseases. You can also get the same growth feeding bait worms.
Ok but im still looking for a smaller predatory fish. Any suggestions?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One of my favorite small predators is Stomatepia pindu.

The white spots are cephalic pits used to help locate prey that hide in the substrate.
They top off at around 8", so are a good size for a 100 gal tank.
You could keep a group. They are mouthbrooders, and are very active.
I agree about not feeding feeder fish from stores, they are disease and parasite carriers and all it takes is one disease carrier to wipe out an entire tank.
The pindu will eat safer live foods such as brine shrimp, mealworms, insects, and earth worms that might satisfy your entertainment needs.
Or you could set up a tank where you raise your own live bearers like guppies, mollies or swordtails, to provide safe feeder fish.

ygwilliam

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2017
California
One of my favorite small predators is Stomatepia pindu.

The white spots are cephalic pits used to help locate prey that hide in the substrate.
They top off at around 8", so are a good size for a 100 gal tank.
You could keep a group. They are mouthbrooders, and are very active.
I agree about not feeding feeder fish from stores, they are disease and parasite carriers and all it takes is one disease carrier to wipe out an entire tank.
The pindu will eat safer live foods such as brine shrimp, mealworms, insects, and earth worms that might satisfy your entertainment needs.
Or you could set up a tank where you raise your own live bearers like guppies, mollies or swordtails, to provide safe feeder fish.
Im already breeding guppies.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store