Northwest Canada
do not add to food - follow the instructions on the box

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
do not add to food - follow the instructions on the box
Thanks, that's what I did.. About 30 minutes after adding GC, the fh starting pooping a lot... well, more than usual.. Colour of the poop was more or less the same(light brown with shade of white probably due to the superworm diet)

On a side note, why do people add GC to fish food? Is it more effective?
I saw a few fishkeepers on youtube who have done it, that's where I got the idea from in the first place..

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
......... because there are a lot of misguided souls on youtube, facebook, etc.

GC contains Praziquantel, which not only treats certain worms (flatworms/tapeworms) but also treats certain ectoparasites, such as flukes, which isn't going to help much if the med is inside the fish - hence why it is used as a bath. The med will be absorbed by the fish when added to the tank water.

Many of those same misguided souls believe that Prazi kills all worms, which it does not. For round worms one needs Levamisole, or something similar. So if one is deworming a fish Prazi alone will often not resolve the issue.

Reactions: Troy1015 and H]-[H

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Thanks, Neil.. That cleared up a lot of my confusion..
I'm still in the hunt for levamisole though.. Any chance you can send some my way? ;)

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
And also on the box it says to remove filter cartridge from filter.. Does foam/sponge/filter wool count as filter cartridge?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
filter media of any type I would imagine. It's been a lot of years since I used GC.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Tomorrow will be the end of the 4-day treatment and so far, not much difference (the FH is still skittish and dark colored with stress bars like it always does)
After the recommended 25% water change, do I continue another round of 4-day treatment or just let it be?
At this point, I'm not sure what to do with this FH whether to put it back in the main tank or continue to watch over it in the quarantine tank.. ugh...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store