Sick Black Spotted Spiny Eel

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Not many species eat wood and they only rasp on the outer layers of very old soaked wood. Plecos will eat cucumber not boiled skin and all but it really should be blanched.
the only reason to blanch a vegetable is because it makes it softer and easier to eat however it does cause it to break down faster in the water. If you put the vegetable in and after a couple times(so they realize it's food) you notice it takes a while for them to start eating it, basically they wait for it to get soft, then that would be a good reason to blanch. Harder foods like tubers and carrots are an example of foods that should be blanched. Basically you need to tailor the food to the individual pleco's preference. It's just like with bristlenose fry you need to use french cut green beans because with regular cut green beans they have a hard time with the skin. If his pleco wasn't already 6" I could see blanching the cucumber because the skin would be hard to eat.

As far as wood eating yes only a small percentage of plecos mainly eat wood, like the Panaque and Panaqolus, but a large percentage do rasp the decaying biofilm on the wood which they do eat some of the wood in the process and that contains cellulose

Reactions: Kovermyer14

Kovermyer14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2017
939CD229-8ACC-45D5-88B3-1922DECEAF27.jpeg Guys, I’m beginning to think my eel has broke his back along with the Pleco eating on him. He used to hide out in a cave that was a bit too small for him. I’m thinking that one night, the Pleco came in there and the eel went crazy. Along with the decreased room to move in the cave, I think the Pleco scared him and may have caused him to break his back. I will post a picture of what he looks like. His condition has worsened, his lesions don’t seem to be getting any better, breathing is much more labored, and he swims upside down while curled up consistently. Please give me y’all thoughts on what to do next, he has been in the hospital tank with melaflix and aquarium salt for 3 days now.

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
It did help, his breathing slowed a small amount. I have an air stone in there along with decreased water level so my filtration waterfall is also causing oxygenation.
Are there any sharp angles in his body shape? It's very hard to tell when an eel has a broken back because they're contortionists (especially my black spots, they do full 180 degree turns). It sounds like you're doing everything right, especially the hospital tank (I didn't do that on one of my peacock eels and the snails in the tank basically ate him overnight), only time will tell. But keep your head up, as long as he has a little place to hide, and you keep up what you're doing, I'm hopeful for you, I know how much my Eels mean to me. Best fish I've ever owned.

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
I don't think any fish can do a lot to break its own back, it is more likely nerve damage or muscle damage. It certainly does not look well though
Or secondary swim bladder damage from thrashing/infection. Only fish I've ever had with a broken back was a massive monster fish (black arrowana) who jumped tank and landed on something... poor little guy just hit 38" and then my neighbor who was watching him left the lid off the tank...

Kovermyer14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2017
Sorry to say all but he passed away this morning. His name was Orkie, he was a great Eel. I’m so sad, but I understand this is one of the only bad things that come with this hobby. I appreciate all of y’alls input. The white spots had spread to his nose, top of his back, and the enlarged one just got bigger so I assumed he caught a systemic disease of some sort after the Pleco sucked his slime coat off. He had also looked as if he had swim bladder problems as he surfaced himself and was swimming upside down frantically going in all directions. I’m very sad this happened to him and once again, thank you everyone for your input.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store