Lighting for a 450 gallon tank?

DN328

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
What is the length of your tank? 8'? And what offset do you have XR15's spaced apart from each other? This is the setup I have been eyeing up for my 300G build I have in the works. I also have a eurobrace top but wasnt sure how their mounting arm brackets would attach to the tank. Can you describe how it works?
There are various rail lengths sold, including for 4', 6', 8', etc. tanks. All use the same "legs" which attaches to the rails via screw clamp. You can move the legs forward or backward on the rails to fit exactly to your tank. If you have eurobrace on top, then you likely won't be able to use the clamps that comes with the legs to secure to the tank.

Fortunately for us, if you set the legs from end to end or side to side (using shorter rails between) the set-up will hold just fine. Essentially the bracket on the leg will rest on top edge of the tank forming a 90*. The bracket is wide enough to not tip over and a snug fit against the tank will create stability. I was skeptical before trying it. My lights ~18" inches apart.

I hope that helps.

DN328

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
What is the length of your tank? 8'? And what offset do you have XR15's spaced apart from each other? This is the setup I have been eyeing up for my 300G build I have in the works. I also have a eurobrace top but wasnt sure how their mounting arm brackets would attach to the tank. Can you describe how it works?
There are various rail lengths sold, including for 4', 6', 8', etc. tanks. All use the same "legs" which attaches to the rails via screw clamp. You can move the legs forward or backward on the rails to fit exactly to your tank. If you have eurobrace on top, then you likely won't be able to use the clamps that comes with the legs to secure to the tank.

Fortunately for us, if you set the legs from end to end or side to side (using shorter rails between) the set-up will hold just fine. Essentially the bracket on the leg will rest on top edge of the tank forming a 90*. The bracket is wide enough to not tip over and a snug fit against the tank will create stability. I was skeptical before trying it. My lights ~18" inches apart.

I hope that helps.

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010

I hope that helps.
So it's as I thought then, no way to actually secure it to the tank. I dont know if I can trust $1000+ of lighting balancing over the tank with just a friction fit. Thanks for your reply. I may end up hanging them from above the tank.

DN328

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
So it's as I thought then, no way to actually secure it to the tank. I dont know if I can trust $1000+ of lighting balancing over the tank with just a friction fit. Thanks for your reply. I may end up hanging them from above the tank.
I wouldnt say it's just based on friction - it's being used as intended. I did also confirm this with Ecotech directly. But true, using the clamp would he better.

Does your eurobracing come up to the edge?

Ari7667

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2018
Ok, so my mom and I are going back and forth now. We are looking at 2 of the Current Marine Ic Pro 48"-60" or 4 of the Ecotech Radion RX15w.

Questions:
Would both light up the aquarium?
Could we have plants with both?
Which one is more reliable? From your experience.

Reminder my tank is 42" deep.

-Thank you for all your help

DN328

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Ok, so my mom and I are going back and forth now. We are looking at 2 of the Current Marine Ic Pro 48"-60" or 4 of the Ecotech Radion RX15w.

Questions:
Would both light up the aquarium?
Could we have plants with both?
Which one is more reliable? From your experience.

Reminder my tank is 42" deep.

-Thank you for all your help
Wouldn't the Current planted freshwater be a better fit rather than the marine version? I don't think either of the brands will acknowledge use for 42" tall tanks.

What is the pricing of the Current for what you want, as that may be less expensive, if that's a consideration for you. Also, you had mentioned the tank being a center piece - which one would look nicer on your set up? Function is most important, but mind as well get something that looks good too.

EDIT: I've not used Current, but I have no doubt the XR15 will have any problems lighting up your entire tank.

Ari7667

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2018
I only looked at the marine because it had a higher wattage. I am assuming that means that light is stronger?

We want it to look good. We will pay more if that's what it takes. But we are worried it will be an overkill.

We went to an LPS nearby, and they said the Radion might be more light than needed since we do not have coral.

We won't see the light fixture itself we are installing cabinets around it.

Radion would be $1,196 for four of them
Marine would be $700 for two of them
Freshwater would be $575 for two of them

-Thank you

DN328

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Im curious why the LFS would say the radions are overkill, if XR15 Pro are made for planted freshwater? Are they confusing with the marine version or lack product knowledge?

I suppose you could use the Current marine but you'll want to adjust to the correct lighting for freshwatet plants rather than hard or soft corals.

I am curious if the XR15 would meet your needs with 3 turned up? Keep in mind mine are only running 50% at max. Are you going to have a lot of high light plants or mostly low/medium light plants? Others more experienced with plants may be able to offer more insights too.

Ari7667

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2018
The plants have not been decided on yet. If it causes issues, we won't have them. The only reason to have them is that the cichlids would eat them. I know nothing about plants.

I am not sure. The LPS use the Kesil on their saltwater tanks for the coral. They also said they would come over with multiple lights and try them in our tank to see what looks best. They have a smaller current light on one of their tanks as well.

I know the XR13 would be enough light. But would the Current lights be enough as well?

-Thank you

Ari7667

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2018
Never mind my mom decided to just go with the Radion.

-Thank you for your help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store