Pics of mudskippers and hog chokers

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
My mudskippers finally made it out of their quarantine tank and I just wanted to share a few pics. I tried to make a video but wasn't sure how to get that large of a file from my iPhone to my laptop to postView attachment 1301154
Here you can see one hogchoker on the side, one mudskipper on the side, and several mudskippers on various platformsView attachment 1301154 View attachment 1301155

Mudskippers from above. One is eating a cricket and another just took a bite of some frozen food.

View attachment 1301157
Hog choker eating an earthworm.

View attachment 1301158

The same hogchoker after hiding in the sand. You can see his eyes and the dark shadow is his full belly.

This is my first time posting pics, so I hope this worked out (I don't know why one seems to have posted twice).

Tank info:
125 gallon (6 feet long) brackish setup (~1.006 s.g.)
5 Indian Mudskippers (Periophthalmus Septemradiatus)
2 Hogchokers (Trinectes maculatus)
3 Zebra Nerite snails
20++ Mollies (started with 8, plan is that the fry are some of the food for the hogchokers- I've seen that happen once)
10+ ghost shrimp
A few assorted plants and way too much hair algae View attachment 1301156
The peace river here is full of them. I had one in my tank but it was not brackish, poor fella made it 5 days. We are 35 miles upriver from the gulf, I guess it is somewhat brackish, not enough that lilly pads and cattails wont grow.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The peace river here is full of them. I had one in my tank but it was not brackish, poor fella made it 5 days. We are 35 miles upriver from the gulf, I guess it is somewhat brackish, not enough that lilly pads and cattails wont grow.
I thought the ones in Florida were brackish and needed to experience brackish every couple of months/weeks?

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
My mudskippers finally made it out of their quarantine tank and I just wanted to share a few pics. I tried to make a video but wasn't sure how to get that large of a file from my iPhone to my laptop to postView attachment 1301154
Here you can see one hogchoker on the side, one mudskipper on the side, and several mudskippers on various platformsView attachment 1301154 View attachment 1301155

Mudskippers from above. One is eating a cricket and another just took a bite of some frozen food.

View attachment 1301157
Hog choker eating an earthworm.

View attachment 1301158

The same hogchoker after hiding in the sand. You can see his eyes and the dark shadow is his full belly.

This is my first time posting pics, so I hope this worked out (I don't know why one seems to have posted twice).

Tank info:
125 gallon (6 feet long) brackish setup (~1.006 s.g.)
5 Indian Mudskippers (Periophthalmus Septemradiatus)
2 Hogchokers (Trinectes maculatus)
3 Zebra Nerite snails
20++ Mollies (started with 8, plan is that the fry are some of the food for the hogchokers- I've seen that happen once)
10+ ghost shrimp
A few assorted plants and way too much hair algae View attachment 1301156
I thought the ones in Florida were brackish and needed to experience brackish every couple of months/weeks?
Not sure, but they are very common, at first I thought maybe large flounder spawned upriver? Evidently not.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Not sure, but they are very common, at first I thought maybe large flounder spawned upriver? Evidently not.
They don't get terribly big.
In Asia you will find puffers that need salt in their water to live, they live in normal lakes but get their salt from "salt seeps" apparently.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store