Creating natural, functional cichlid display tanks

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Thanks for this thread Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7

Could you elaborate on collecting aquarium safe rocks at all?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thanks for this thread Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7

Could you elaborate on collecting aquarium safe rocks at all?
Drop some vinegar on the rocks, if it doesn't react then it's usually safe. If it fizzes that means it is reactive and can leech minerals into your water :)

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Drop some vinegar on the rocks, if it doesn't react then it's usually safe. If it fizzes that means it is reactive and can leech minerals into your water :)
And that works for all kinds of rocks?

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Cool thanks Hendre Hendre

Would love to hear if Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 has any further insight too.

Reactions: tlindsey

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Cool thanks Hendre Hendre

Would love to hear if Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 has any further insight too.
I have yet to find a rock that can't be used in fish tanks.
Some rocks like limestone and other chalky type rocks, as Hendre mentioned can buffer the water. The buffering capacity can vary from one type of rock to another. I have found the buffering capacity of rocks like limestone hardly noticeable, especially when combined under a regime of large scale water changes.
If you wish to keep c/a cichlids or African rift lake cichlids, any naturally sourced rock that is free from contamination should be safe.
If you wish to keep soft water species then do the vinager test to be sure they have no buffering capabilities.
Smooth round rocks found on the beech and round water worn river rocks are normally inert. Chalky rocks like limestone tend to be the ones that harden water.
Simply scrub clean any collected rocks and pour boiling water over them, you should have no issues and it's probably a lot less risky than sourcing your own wood.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I have yet to find a rock that can't be used in fish tanks.
Some rocks like limestone and other chalky type rocks, as Hendre mentioned can buffer the water. The buffering capacity can vary from one type of rock to another. I have found the buffering capacity of rocks like limestone hardly noticeable, especially when combined under a regime of large scale water changes.
If you wish to keep c/a cichlids or African rift lake cichlids, any naturally sourced rock that is free from contamination should be safe.
If you wish to keep soft water species then do the vinager test to be sure they have no buffering capabilities.
Smooth round rocks found on the beech and round water worn river rocks are normally inert. Chalky rocks like limestone tend to be the ones that harden water.
Simply scrub clean any collected rocks and pour boiling water over them, you should have no issues and it's probably a lot less risky than sourcing your own wood.
You're a wealth of knowledge sir, thank you.

Reactions: J. H. and Stanzzzz7

Icecold Dan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 10, 2018
Earth
Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 Do you have any experience or thoughts on palm fronds? I've got several varieties in my yard (Sabal, Pindo,Fan) that I thought would look great in the aquarium build I'm working on.

Reactions: tlindsey

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 Do you have any experience or thoughts on palm fronds? I've got several varieties in my yard (Sabal, Pindo,Fan) that I thought would look great in the aquarium build I'm working on.
Yes, palm leaves look very good in fish tanks. I've used a few varieties in the past, mostly trachycarpis and washingtonia.
The only thing I will say is make sure they are completely dead and dried out with no green colour left in them. Palm fronds hold sugars that can start to pollute your water. If they are completely dry, you have nothing to worry about.
I would also avoid very sharp palm leaves like phoenix canariensis.
Excuse my spelling of palm species, it may be a little off.
Good luck and happy aquascaping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store