Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
usually go into caves alone with multiple light sources on my person
Hello; We always took at least three light sources. Some sort of battery light, Some candles and a carbide lamp. Back in the 1960's battery lights were no where near as good as the modern lights so the carbide lamp was a main light.
For those not familiar with carbide. It was a dry material that when drops of water were added it would off gas actelyene (sp).The gas would burn with a flame and had fairly bright light. The carbide lamps were made of brass and clipped onto the mining helmets so our hands were free. A small amount of carbide in the bottom chamber could burn for hours. When the gas stopped we could recharge with some more dry carbide and have light for days.

Another thing we used carbide for was with a metal gallon paint can. Poke a small hole in the bottom of the can with a nail. Throw a small amount of carbide in the paint can with a little water. Put the metal can lid back on and make it snug.
Lay the can on its side and put your foot on it. Have a lit match ready after a little while and hold it to the nail hole. Makes a nice loud boom and blows the lid off the can. I use to think it was fun.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yeah,we were talking about it at work,him being a former Eagle and all.There seems to have have been quite a bit of recent shenannigans and police involvement between the couple.So,have the NFL threatened to suspend him,I hadn't heard that mentioned until now?
I don't know. The article I saw was saying to suspend him indefinitely right away. Stopped reading at that point.

I feel like the NFL should wait till the he's charged and found guilty

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I've attached a list of the Romeo and Juliet laws, aka, Gap Provision laws.

It would difficult to conclude from reviewing this list that there are effectively no laws protecting 12-13 year olds from 16-17 year olds, when the listed state laws explicitly categorize activity as Class A, B or C felonies if it involves 12-13 year olds (and in many states even involving 14-15 year olds), having sexual relations with people 2-3 years older, much less 4-5 years older.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/r/romeo-and-juliet-law/
https://legaldictionary.net/romeo-and-juliet-laws/

And even if, due to these provisions (in some cases), a person isn't charged with rape (or statutory rape), it doesn't mean that person can't be charged with felony sexual assault or child molestation.
This is true, and i didn't know about this, but guessed there would be such a law, which is why I said "effectively". I have seen these laws blatantly ignored, and I live in NY, where they allow an age difference of 0. If a law is not enforced, it is not a law.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't know. The article I saw was saying to suspend him indefinitely right away. Stopped reading at that point.

I feel like the NFL should wait till the he's charged and found guilty
Yeah,they need to stand down and stay out of it for now.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
This is true, and i didn't know about this, but guessed there would be such a law, which is why I said "effectively". I have seen these laws blatantly ignored, and I live in NY, where they allow an age difference of 0. If a law is not enforced, it is not a law.
This is a very good point. Absolutely speaking, if a law is simply never enforced, or ignored by the authorities, their value is questionable at best.

However, there are two sides to law enforcement. On one hand, it's probable that certain jurisdictions will try to avoid prosecution on many cases, even ones deemed likely to succeed in court, thus sending out the wrong signal. OTOH, it's unclear how many people will commit to "prior" restraint on their behavior given that the laws still exist and they are aware of the risk of prosecution.

No law (or prosecutor) can end all risky or downright dangerous behavior, but my impression is that laws on the books that are widely observed will act as a deterrent. So long as it's clearly regarded as improper and illegal by most, the laws will deter at least some people.

Reactions: J. H.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Remind me of ny'ers. Always outside, little loud, call like it is type of people.
Now you can feel comfortable going outside and honking your horn to wake up your wife & kids in the morning LOL.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store