Washing Your Bio

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Yep I remember when I upgraded my aquarium keeping and got rid of all those old air pump filters now decades later I have an air pump running on every one of my tanks with a sponge of some sort
Hello; I dug out an old air powered HOB filter a year or so ago. I had kept enough of them to have parts to get it running. I now have it running on a QT along with a sponge filter. I had to bleed off some air so figured to run that excess air thru the old filter. I may have enough parts to run one more but so many are cracked or broken. I do not know if such can be purchased anymore.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Okay...let's see how this goes...

I wash my Biological filtration with tap water. There! I've said it. Never had a crash, never had an issue with Nitrates and all that. I tend to believe that there is plenty of BB in my tanks to sustain itself until the media can repopulate itself. I've been at this for 25 years and used to clean my filter every 3 months...now a days it seems more like 7-10 months.

I have ALWAYS cleaned/washed my filter with tap water. When people were adamant about never use tap water, I tried to change. I would wash my bio with tank water, but then I would find myself filling my freshly cleaned filter (canister) with tap water...kind of defeats the purpose of rinsing with tank water, doesn't it?

Am I playing Russian Roulette or is it a matter of "if it works, it works?

I don't suggest anyone all of a sudden change their maintenance habits, it just works for me and I'm just curious what everyone's opinion may be on the subject.
Well, different cities have different water. The chlorine dosage can vary from city to city let alone from a country to another. What might be ok for you might wipe someone else's colony.

Plus, it's not that much effort to use tank water if you are already doing a water change. You can also fill it with the old water, it's not a great deal of volume

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
With a can you don't need to refill it if you have valves on your hoses, it will reprime itself when you reconnect them

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Well, different cities have different water. The chlorine dosage can vary from city to city let alone from a country to another. What might be ok for you might wipe someone else's colony.

Plus, it's not that much effort to use tank water if you are already doing a water change. You can also fill it with the old water, it's not a great deal of volume
Hello; Again the argument ( from my viewpoint) is not that tap water is necessarily "safe" to clean bio-media with. More that in some cases the simple rinse in "old tank water" is not enough.
For example the various tubes that channel the water thru filters will over time build up hick coatings of gunk. To the point of restricting flow to some degree. I have tried a simple rinse with poor results. I have tried flushing with a hose with slightly better results. What I wind up doing is to run a brush thru the tubes to loosen the gunk and restore good flow. Before I do this level of cleaning I make sure to preserve some bb loaded media.

Maybe I am the only one whose stuff gets gunked up over time and many of you do just fine with the gentle rinse. To each his/her own. So far we each get to run our tanks any way we wish. I am not on a crusade to overthrow the current dogma, just pointing out a practice I use.

Reactions: Lilyann

Lilyann

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
hello; I also do this from time to time. I use a garden hose when it is warm enough outside.

Hello; I guess my take on this results from 50+ years of getting away with the practice, some microbiology training and what I think I understand about the dynamic relationship of bacteria colonies.
First let me say I do take some precautions so as to not kill off too many beneficial bacteria (bb). I keep back some media and do not clean everything all at one time. I also keep a couple of sponge filter bases in the back of filters in the hope they will house some bb colonies.

Back in my undergraduate biology classes we made up culture media to put in petri dishes. Usually some form of agar-agar or blood agar. We would then apply various bacteria to the sterilized agar media in order to learn about the bacteria.
The bacteria would grow very quickly on culture media in a petri dish for a few days and then growth would slow and essentially pretty much stop. There would be a very large amount of nutrient remaining that the bacteria colonies could use but they did not. The explaination given was they sort of poisoned them selves because they had no plumbing. Sure they had a super abundance of "food" but no way to get rid of their own waste. The accumulation of the waste eventually was a toxin and stopped the growth of a colony. Some colonies might stop at dime size and others maybe would get to slightly bigger than a quarter.
Of course if there was some way a few of the bacteria got moved to another spot then a new colony would form. But in a covered petri dish there was no wind so that did not much happen.

What am I driving at? One thing that always seemed to me is from time to time the bio-media needs a good cleaning. This gives the bb a fresh place to colonize. Gentle rinsing in tank or conditioned water seems ok for a while but eventually it needs a good cleaning. I guess since I had been using a hose for decades before joining these fish forums I had some experience to fall back on.
I do not know how new fish keepers can judge these things. I am aware from reading posts the last nine years that the gentle rinse in old tank water is sort of a fish keeping "gospel".

I have also learned that the bb are sessile and stick well to the surfaces they colonize. I have not done any sort of check but do suspect that even with a hose rinse not all are removed. I do not usually scrub the media surface unless the build up is bad. I figure it is better to clean away the gunk that can smother the bb colonies even if I wash away some of the bb.
I learned this over time from experience of having fish tanks over the last 30 years.- not something I could explain to others "why" like you can- just that it worked.
I think this was because I learned fish-keeping not from others- no one I knew had fish 30 years ago- but from books. This is prior to the Internet, mind you. Books were your primary source for information, especially when everyone else around you only saw fish at aquarium stores. Which were few and far between where I lived.
My practices are often seen as strange: So be it.
MY biological media is always cleaned ( in rotation) with tap.
I change out a 1/4 of my bio-media per year for new.
Mechanical media is just that-mechanical. If you are using it as biological you are diminishing its purpose and efficiency as intended.
I do not keep my sponges until "they disintegrate". Have you ever noticed how they lose their ability to mechanically remove debris as they fibers break down? Why would you want to wait until they disintegrate- because you are using them as biological media.
These practices will make some fish-keepers on forums very angry that you dare to say you do them or believe they work.

Reactions: skjl47

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Hello; Again the argument ( from my viewpoint) is not that tap water is necessarily "safe" to clean bio-media with. More that in some cases the simple rinse in "old tank water" is not enough.
For example the various tubes that channel the water thru filters will over time build up hick coatings of gunk. To the point of restricting flow to some degree. I have tried a simple rinse with poor results. I have tried flushing with a hose with slightly better results. What I wind up doing is to run a brush thru the tubes to loosen the gunk and restore good flow. Before I do this level of cleaning I make sure to preserve some bb loaded media.

Maybe I am the only one whose stuff gets gunked up over time and many of you do just fine with the gentle rinse. To each his/her own. So far we each get to run our tanks any way we wish. I am not on a crusade to overthrow the current dogma, just pointing out a practice I use.
I don't get how its "not enough", I meant in my post that you rinse the biomedia in tank water. If you are getting any kind of flow restriction you can use the brush meant to clean baby bottles. Of coarse everyone should do what he thinks if right

Reactions: RD.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
If you are using it as biological you are diminishing its purpose and efficiency as intended.
Well, biofilm grows in every surface disregarding someone's intentions. So technically they work as both mechanical and biological.

Reactions: RD.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I do strongly feel that even if cleaning my Bio under tap kills off all the BB from the filter, there is sufficient amount of BB within the tank (on the glass, substrate, rocks, driftwood, and decor). We also preach overfiltration which makes me think how much BB is already within my system? Am I able to get away with breaking one of the fish keeping commandments because there’s plenty of BB within my tank?

Reactions: Lilyann

Lilyann

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Well, biofilm grows in every surface disregarding someone's intentions. So technically they work as both mechanical and biological.
Yes, of course biofilm grows on this surface. However, I dont use it as a means of biological filtration. It is used for its mechanical ability to trap debris, which means it is rinsed and cleaned and replaced as often as needed to maintain its ability to do this.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My argument is not that cleaning with tap water is risk free. Rather that at some point a more thorough cleaning of the media has seemed the better choice than allowing the bb to be smothered in gunk.
I agree with Feshman, clearly some tubes, lines etc require a more thorough cleaning from time to time - but if we are only discussing bio-media, I have been running the same media, in the same bags, for approx. 15 yrs now. Other than some swishing in de-chlorinated tap water every few months, I have never needed to hose them off. I also clean all of my mechanical media, and swish all of those bio-media bags, all in the same day. I've been doing that for many years, without so much as a hiccup. But I know my set ups, my disinfectant residuals, tap water parameters such a pH, alkalinity, hardness, water temp, etc, so I know from experience what I can pull off safely, in my tanks.

Reactions: FESHMAN
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store