Extremely skittish Jack Dempsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Yeah bright lights, like on a planted tank, can definitely be disorienting. If you need the bright light for the plants, might try getting him used to it in small intervals. Maybe even put some tape over some of the light or reducing intensity if you have a dimmer, and slowly raising it over time.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Yeah bright lights, like on a planted tank, can definitely be disorienting. If you need the bright light for the plants, might try getting him used to it in small intervals. Maybe even put some tape over some of the light or reducing intensity if you have a dimmer, and slowly raising it over time.
Do you think if I add another large SA cichlid to the tank for example a 7 inch Texas cichlid it would cause more harm than good? At the moment the JD is still skittish with me but does try to bully the wolf fish. I have yet to see the wolf fish bite at it but it just swims away when the JD flares it's gills. I was considering dither fish to help but I don't know think any will survive with the wolf.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Do you think if I add another large SA cichlid to the tank for example a 7 inch Texas cichlid it would cause more harm than good? At the moment the JD is still skittish with me but does try to bully the wolf fish. I have yet to see the wolf fish bite at it but it just swims away when the JD flares it's gills. I was considering dither fish to help but I don't know think any will survive with the wolf.
I think this would not be a good idea tbh; 2 cichlids never really works out. If you added maybe something like a group of smaller cichlids, say Honduran red points, they may act as cichlid-dithers and bring the JD out more. On the other hand that may be a bit much for your tank, and they may be eaten by the wolf since they are smaller. But adding another large cichlid, is just adding competition for the JD. Either it will dominate the JD, or the JD will dominate it, and you will have a more confident JD, but now a texas which isn't doing well, not an effective trade-off imo.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I think this would not be a good idea tbh; 2 cichlids never really works out. If you added maybe something like a group of smaller cichlids, say Honduran red points, they may act as cichlid-dithers and bring the JD out more. On the other hand that may be a bit much for your tank, and they may be eaten by the wolf since they are smaller. But adding another large cichlid, is just adding competition for the JD. Either it will dominate the JD, or the JD will dominate it, and you will have a more confident JD, but now a texas which isn't doing well, not an effective trade-off imo.
Perfectly said and thanks. I'll hold off and monitor the JD and wolf for now. If it doesn't work out illI rehome the JD. I had a 13 inch spotted gar in there which I sold last week but it didn't change any of there behavior.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Marick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2021
I know I am late to the party :)
But did everything work out well?
I just got an Electric blue and it is sort of behaving similar.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
JD by nature is a timid cichlids, and the larger they grow , the more skirmish they become. The only time they are bold is when they are juvies, coming out to greet and beg for food. The same behavior is also observed in the wild, as divers have observed bold juvies and shy adults. I have raised JD a few time and they all get shyer with age. Other CA that are even more skittish are Viega species. They were so shy to the point that I have to approach the tank slowly or else they would jump and bump their head. I guess the only way to calm them is to keep many of them in a huge tank when they pay more attention to one another than feeling the lone target of attention. Smaller convict cichlid or African cichlid, on the other hand, are never shy but they are always kept in a group.

There are tank busters that are always bold such as Dovii, Jaguar, red devil and hybrid Flowerhown, and they are often kept as wet pet.

SalviniCichlidFan

Dovii
MFK Member
May 30, 2021
www.andrew-li.org
JD by nature is a timid cichlids, and the larger they grow , the more skirmish they become. The only time they are bold is when they are juvies, coming out to greet and beg for food. The same behavior is also observed in the wild, as divers have observed bold juvies and shy adults. I have raised JD a few time and they all get shyer with age. Other CA that are even more skittish are Viega species. They were so shy to the point that I have to approach the tank slowly or else they would jump and bump their head. I guess the only way to calm them is to keep many of them in a huge tank when they pay more attention to one another than feeling the lone target of attention. Smaller convict cichlid or African cichlid, on the other hand, are never shy but they are always kept in a group.

There are tank busters that are always bold such as Dovii, Jaguar, red devil and hybrid Flowerhown, and they are often kept as wet pet.
I've seen skittish Dovii and flower horns. I think every fish is different some are bold others are skittish.

Marick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2021
Well thankfully mine has now relaxed,was most likely just getting settled :).He is a juvi though, hopefully he stays like this. @
SalviniCichlidFan SalviniCichlidFan sorry to hear man.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store