Do Red Wigglers "Keep" in the fridge?

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I'd like to get some small wigglers for my greedy parrots and baby O. How long do they keep in storage? I wouldn't want to buy too many.

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I put some in my mini frodge for well over a week, several weeks actually. I’d say a month should be good.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Please be extremely careful with refrigerating worms. They can foul extremely fast if not kept in very good conditions. Many, many years ago I lost 100% of my stock due to disease brought in by black worms that had fouled in the container (within weeks). I didn’t do a great job keeping everything clean and just tossed the bin back in the fridge. Hard lesson learned.

Still to this day it is the worst mistake I’ve made in the hobby.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Please be extremely careful with refrigerating worms. They can foul extremely fast if not kept in very good conditions. Many, many years ago I lost 100% of my stock due to disease brought in by black worms that had fouled in the container (within weeks). I didn’t do a great job keeping everything clean and just tossed the bin back in the fridge. Hard lesson learned.

Still to this day it is the worst mistake I’ve made in the hobby.
Wow, guess I'll stick with freeze dried insects. Not worth the risk it seems to keep it fresh.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If you breed them yourself then it's no worse than breeding guppies as food.

Reactions: FINWIN

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Red wigglers don't need to be refrigerated. Actually, they do best in warmth.

They are really easy to culture. I have a (composting) bin in my fishroom / garage and drop kitchen veggie, fruit and paper waste into it...and out comes more worms and compost.

Red wiggler worms are terrestrial and don't have the risks of black worms. They won't foul and kill your fish.

www.unclejimswormfarm.com is a great source (or look on Craigslist form "composting worms" or "red wigglers"). Bins are very easy (Google it).

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Reproduction in my red wiggler bin slows down quite a bit at lower temps but they'll survive as long as they're not frozen.

To be clear though, they prefer heat and will eat and reproduce like crazy in summertime temps.

Whenever folks propose to raise livebearers or convicts or other fish as live food, I recommend red wigglers - much less work and way more productive.

Red wrigglers will do fine in 40-50 F for months.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I’m gonna hijack the thread for bit, sorry in advance.
I have some space to raise some live non aquatic food and I’m not sure what it should be. I’m trying to decide between night crawlers and red wigglers, what do yall think is better to raise?

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I've always kept my red wrigglers in the fridge along with earthworms and the wrigglers do just fine.

Though I've never kept them longer than 2 weeks because I go through them so fast...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store