OSCAR ICK | FISH DYING HELP!!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Then what is it could you help diagnose?
Hello; In the first pictures I see a wound on the dark fish and some white areas on the mouth of the light fish. Neither is ick. If these are what you are also are worried about then it may be a fungal or bacterial issue, but with two Oscars my first wild guess is poor water conditions. If you have a test kit please post water parameters.

Note- if it is fungal or bacterial the common treatment for ick of raising temps is counterproductive as warmer temps can make either of those worse. Please do some checking before throwing medications at an undiagnosed problem.

A generally safe thing you can do is to increase to frequency of water changes (WC). What is your current WC schedule?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Also, they were fine until i got a heater and raised the temp
Hello; What is the temp now and what was it in the past?
Ick is a parasite that infects fish, not filters. Do you have an air bubbler or any thing that agitates the surface of the water?

Kaif

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2018
Hello; What is the temp now and what was it in the past?
Ick is a parasite that infects fish, not filters. Do you have an air bubbler or any thing that agitates the surface of the water?
You totally make sense, raising temp has caused this sudden issue, as far is water parameters i do not currently have a test kit, what is about 27C° before it was around 24C everything aside what do i do as of now? Changing water as we speak 90%

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I am doing a good amount of water change every 2 3 days so i dont think that would be an issue.
Hello; What is the % of water changed?
Is it a WC every 2 or 3 days or every 23 days?
How big is the tank?
What type of filtration do you use?
When was the last time you serviced the filter?
Is the tank cycled?

The list of potential questions is much longer but we will need more information. We are not present so remote diagnosis is very difficult.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Changing water as we speak 90%
Hello; I get you are eager to do something but a word of caution. If you have been doing 90% WC normally then you are OK. But if you have been doing significantly smaller WC before then a sudden big WC can have problems all on it's own.

Reactions: YankeeJack

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
what is about 27C° before it was around 24C
Hello; I think in degrees F so had to do the conversion. 27 C is about 80 F if I did it right. That is not especially warm so is not an issue on it's own. About 5 degrees F increase. Will promote bacterial growth some but still does not ring true as an issue.
Another wild guess is the oxygen content might be lower with the warmer temp so secondary air bubbler of surface agitation may be of use.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here is ich. You raise the temp with ich, to speed up its life cycle so medication, or salt can kill it.

If its not ick, raising the temp is often the worst thing to do, because the higher the temp, the more certain pathogenic bacteria become more infectious.

Kaif

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2018
S skjl47 to answer your questions
Yes i am very eager to heal them which is due to the fact that i am pretty new into fish keeping(since about 10months) and have never faced such a thing before
They are housed in a 75~ gallon(yes its less for a pair) saving up for a larger tank as of now.
For the past week i have been doing a 50% wc every 2 3 days. And just completed a 90% wc they seen to Start moving more, although they keep scratching themselves over the substrate. I apologize for not being able to answer your others questions because i dont havw the equipments to do so(rookie mistake) any solution what to do now? Anti fungal? Lower temp?(although you mentioned temp isnt the issue) i am just very worried

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store