Biggest rtc I’ve seen.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Do you have an estimate to the heaviest red tail in your tank?
Featherweight. 3.5' and perhaps 40-50 lbs, hard to estimate the weight for me. Not much experience in weighing fish.

Reactions: coolcomfort

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
Featherweight. 3.5' and perhaps 40-50 lbs, hard to estimate the weight for me. Not much experience in weighing fish.
Wow, impressive to think they can get much bigger. Do you think your red tail have the potential to get full size in the 14 by 14 exhibit?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wow, impressive to think they can get much bigger. Do you think your red tail have the potential to get full size in the 14 by 14 exhibit?
I am not sure what size to expect of them. Champion size in captivity seems to be around 4' but this is so poorly known that I'd not know what to forecast or think. Too many variables, too few statistical data known - I know only a few.

Their current tank is 13'x13' but I think it is the genetics, water quality, diet quality, and longevity that will play into their final size. So far, I think the gender will too.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
Agreed, pictures can make them look large some times. Camera angles, holding them out. I actually found the picture whilst looking at fishing locations in Suriname for this year. Wouldn’t mind connecting with one over 100lb.
They've got them to that size near Wonotobo Falls if you saw the detail in my Suriname fishing thread. I was planning to go this year also but now that trip has moved to Sept 2020 for me. Still trying to figure out my destination for this year either Pintado in Argentina or Vundu in Tanzania.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
They've got them to that size near Wonotobo Falls if you saw the detail in my Suriname fishing thread. I was planning to go this year also but now that trip has moved to Sept 2020 for me. Still trying to figure out my destination for this year either Pintado in Argentina or Vundu in Tanzania.
I do recall that. I’ve just booked up a Surinam fishing’s trip myself. End of September 2weeks of solid fishing. Cannot wait.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I do recall that. I’ve just booked up a Surinam fishing’s trip myself. End of September 2weeks of solid fishing. Cannot wait.
What kind of vaccinations must you go through?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store