The Red Texas Cichlid that Isn't?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
It looks like your Red Texas is developing nicely, and looks like it might be a fader. If it peels red, you will have a show fish.

Reactions: Serpentine

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
It looks like your Red Texas is developing nicely, and looks like it might be a fader. If it peels red, you will have a show fish.
Huh. I thought my PetSmart special had turned out to be exactly what I paid for. :D

Noob question... what is a fader? I've heard the term but am not clear on its meaning.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Thanks! I had thought he already reached his full potential but it would seem that he's a late bloomer. He does have some areas that are turning more red than purple but I thought perhaps they were scuff marks or scars from digging around his lava rock. He could be peeling.

That also explains my previously orange red devil developing extensive white markings.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
I find it laughable it when people market and sell fry as red texas cichlids because of the parents used to create a Red Texas hybrid. There's no guarantee you will get a cichlid that looks like a carpintis and be orange/red as adults. Even more laughable is when the adults are called red texas because of the lineage, and it doesn't have the visual traits of a Red Texas hybrid.
I said the same thing for years but always had mobs forming with pitchforks and torches coming after me lol. Theres like 7 pages of some jill or something talking about her red fish, the red one etc in the petsmart thread. The fish didnt have a spec of red on it and the update pics stopped well before the fish reached adulthood.

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
I guess Potential Red Texas cichlid didn't fly as a marketing name. :D

Except for the few red patches developing here and there Caligula is decidedly purple and green. Not realizing that they can undergo radical changes later in life I thought that was his final coloration and was OK with that. He's a pet.

I can see why some people would be upset with being sold a fish that didn't live up to the name though. They can't all be stunners but the name does imply a modicum of red somewhere on the fish.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Here's what he looks like today in late adolescence. He's about 8 inches long, 5 inches tall and 2 inches wide. He's still growing, as is the nuchal hump.

I would say he's more of a purple Texas than red. His other side has more green. I don't have a lot of experience judging quality because I just got him as a wet pet. I am guessing he's not any show fish but that's OK. He's still beautiful and wow, does he ever have personality and brains.

Caligula ruled a tank full of festae and jewel cichlids before he got too rough for all of them and ended up with his own bachelor pad.

Wow! You really found yourself a stunning hybrid.... at this point I wouldnt even know what to call it lol... great find buddy!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store