More tank pics, updated

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
As always--very superb photos. Beautiful cozy, grotto-- private suite for Boss the King.

Yes, Brick is really, really a spooktacular, mega Brickstar. His coloring just keeps getting more--Wow.

I concur with EntoStentor EntoStentor that Snails would be a remedy for your algae. I had intended to post you about that today, even before I saw NoobAquarist's post. >>>>Nerite Snails to be specific.

They are Major Turbo Working Algae Cleaner Machines. And they won't touch your aquarium plants, except the smaller Snails will clean your plants of algae. They have a variety attractive of color and patterned shells.

Mystery snails get a little larger, but you can still get close to as large Nerite Snails.

Nerite Snails live about a year or two and can only breed in saltwater. I try to keep a Nerite in every tank and will sometimes move them between my multiple tanks as valuable assistant cleaning teams.

Apple Snails live 2-4 years and can breed in freshwater. It is recommended you keep one per tank to prevent a snail infestation or keep a pair in a specific separate tank if you intend to breed them.

I just acquired an Assassin Snail to eliminate an unwanted Trumpet Snail infestation. They will eat fish food but their dining passion is other Snails. As soon as I finished acclimating the Assassin Snail and put in the tank, it went right to work in attacking another snail.

Assassin Snails definitely deserve the honorary title of Monster Mollusk.
My only concern with the snails is an infestation...swapping one problem for another! But I see that's only an issue with the apple snails. Might give the Nerites a go!

Brick cooperated and posed by the ruler. He is officially now 8". So he's still growing at a staggering 2.5"+ a month clip. Still don't believe this can continue. And I'm only feeding him twice a day now.

Being a fiesty teenage O with a big mouth, Brick is still testing Boss in true cichlid fashion. He's not relinquishing the title lightly. Generally will stay on his 'turf' but goes over to start junk. He'll maneuver Boss around a bit, even still chase him some up top. But head to head he gets owned. He simply can't move the sumo parrot no matter how fast he charges in. Boss catches his bottom lip and shoves him all over the place and finally Brick just gives up and drifts away all mopey. His only real tactic is trying to bite Boss in the belly because he can't lip lock with him. I have a pic of that I will post. The tactic never works, Boss sees it coming a mile away.

They had a w/c today. Did a quick cleanup of Kong's tank. He keeps smashing the marimos against the back glass in a pile creating more debris for me to find. The large marimo is a complete mess, he had it shaped like a crescent moon the other day.

This will be the last ich treatment for Patch tonight. I want to get her out of the blue soup, she has completely stopped eating. (I discovered this is a side effect of the meds). This will complete two weeks treatment and I think she needs a break from it. I will do a teardown of her tank, probably remove some of the sand and replace it (darker mix) and do a clean/sterilize of the plants and boulder.

Will have a territory map of the main tank coming up. The journal rolls on...:cool-1:

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Don't oscars have way bigger mouths than BPs?
Waaay bigger. But I think parrots do a suction pinch thing. My other parrots Patch and Kong have much larger mouths than Boss .They can eat 4-5mm pellets no prob. But some parrots have teeth (like Patch). I'm not sure if Boss has teeth behind his lips.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Oh I get it he's getting beat bc he can't lip lock. Man, blood parrots are invincible! Imagine a 12 inch kissing gourami getting owned by a 4 inch BP
Boss is simply stronger. If Brick charges in to lip lock, He hits a wall and can't get leverage. A healthy, well fed parrot is thick and muscular. You'd look at the two and say "no way" but Boss is the sumo parrot.

Earlier in the thread I posted their measurements. Brick is longer and has big finnage. Boss thicker. Think bowling ball vs fat pancake.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
My only concern with the snails is an infestation...swapping one problem for another! But I see that's only an issue with the apple snails. Might give the Nerites a go!

Brick cooperated and posed by the ruler. He is officially now 8". So he's still growing at a staggering 2.5"+ a month clip. Still don't believe this can continue. And I'm only feeding him twice a day now.

Being a fiesty teenage O with a big mouth, Brick is still testing Boss in true cichlid fashion. He's not relinquishing the title lightly. Generally will stay on his 'turf' but goes over to start junk. He'll maneuver Boss around a bit, even still chase him some up top. But head to head he gets owned. He simply can't move the sumo parrot no matter how fast he charges in. Boss catches his bottom lip and shoves him all over the place and finally Brick just gives up and drifts away all mopey. His only real tactic is trying to bite Boss in the belly because he can't lip lock with him. I have a pic of that I will post. The tactic never works, Boss sees it coming a mile away.

They had a w/c today. Did a quick cleanup of Kong's tank. He keeps smashing the marimos against the back glass in a pile creating more debris for me to find. The large marimo is a complete mess, he had it shaped like a crescent moon the other day.

This will be the last ich treatment for Patch tonight. I want to get her out of the blue soup, she has completely stopped eating. (I discovered this is a side effect of the meds). This will complete two weeks treatment and I think she needs a break from it. I will do a teardown of her tank, probably remove some of the sand and replace it (darker mix) and do a clean/sterilize of the plants and boulder.

Will have a territory map of the main tank coming up. The journal rolls on...:cool-1:
Sounds like Night at the Fights at your place. Take a hot dog and pass the beer.

When I said smaller Snails would clean your plants---I meant smaller Nerite Snails would clean your plants of algae without harming them and could not reproduce without special brackish water conditions. Yeah you definitely don't want a snail infestation. I don't actually mind a small controlled population of Nerite Snails, because they are so useful. They also add another attractive dimension to your tank.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Sounds like Night at the Fights at your place. Take a hot dog and pass the beer.

When I said smaller Snails would clean your plants---I meant smaller Nerite Snails would clean your plants of algae without harming them and could not reproduce without special brackish water conditions. Yeah you definitely don't want a snail infestation. I don't actually mind a small controlled population of Nerite Snails, because they are so useful. They also add another attractive dimension to your tank.
Yeah all I need is a fast speed film and the cornball organ music like the keystone cops...:grinno:

Saw some really pretty purple snails on Amazon...not sure if they're Nerite or not.

And...Patch is eating again! Finally...she's colored up into her 'dark peach' color phase. Pics coming soon...the mix of Baja blue/Carribean blue sand seems to agree with her. I will also be removing some sand from Kong's tank to give him a bit more water volume. The large marimo is hopeless...he's got shreds of it catching in the filters which fortunately are easy to clean. He put the smaller ones in his hutch for a 'bed.'

I'll be glad when Brick stops grabbing my finger and knuckle when he eats. You'd think I was using my hand for a fish hook. Now he just opens his mouth wide and inhales clusters of pellets...his greed is frightening.

Boss is the greediest parrot of the three. He'll eat all day if I let him...probably takes a lot of calories to maintain a ball body.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store