Whats more helpful

• Total voters

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
How does that prove anything at all?

In the same manner I can argue that clown loaches don't breed but multiply by division because no one has seen them breed, which was certainly the case before the times of hormonal breeding.

Having said that, now that you have sparked my interest, I'l research all the info posted here about senegal bichirs.

What I gather so far is that they don't grow to that size in captivity for one or another reason.
The biggest senegal caught in wild is 47cm and that lake turkana, thats only 1 specimen compared to thousand that are being sold CB and WC.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Someone suggesting that polys won't eat dry food reminded me of something Ad Konings wrote years ago.

The following is a direct quote from one of his books published back in the mid 90's.

"Males of many Utaka will not regain or acquire their breeding colours when fed exclusively on dry food. "

Had he stated when fed exclusively a very low quality dry food, that may have had some truth to it. Years ago I had someone who has dove in Malawi, and collected thousands of fish, in my home, viewing my breeding groups. In his opinion my fish were every bit as colorful, and healthy looking, as those that he collected in the wild.

So sometimes even the experts can get it wrong.

True enough, but remember I went that route with the group at loaches-online, and basically got poo-poo'd by their admin, and the author of an article where he had basically got his entire commentary ass-backwards.
The result of that was me writing my own article, with credible references, and credible photos from sources with their feet on the ground in that part of the world, which I later posted here on MFK, which later became a sticky. That's how enthusiastic I became.
Out of curiosity what were you feeding them ?

The biggest senegal caught in wild is 47cm and that lake turkana, thats only 1 specimen compared to thousand that are being sold CB and WC.
Passing you the mic for a bit lol

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Out of curiosity what were you feeding them ?
This will probably come as a huge surprise, but back then I was feeding all of my cichlids NLS exclusively. My fish, and their overall health and vibrant colors caused my friend to switch from Omega, which he had been feeding for a number of years, to NLS.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Reactions: Dloks and beau1990

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Took you all day to come up with that... smh im gonna have to start calling you corycockroach from now on.
I was having a life all day. Apologies :grinno:

Just couldn't resist posting after the first search....

Nice fish by the way, what is it :ROFL:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Here is my 0.24 zambian kwacha:

Seriously fish is extremely inaccurate. Saying 1 endli needs a 600 gallon tank is ludicrous, and the size mistakes on not just polys but many other fish are appalling to me. This site seems like the worst possible thing you could use to find care information. It might put someone off from buying a senegal (standard starting poly) and getting started keeping polys (which for me and many other members is the best part of the hobby) because seriouslyfish said they grow to 20 inches. Bad advice is worse than no advice. I don't know why coryloach is so attached to it but whatever, idk. This thread will probably get closed down due to some people having a hissy fit soon so why don't we all go our separate ways? Anyone reading this thread can decide for themselves. I don't think anyone's doing anything productive here.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
The size references for Polypterus Teugelsi seem to be from Ichthyol. Explor. Freshwaters, Vol. 15, No. 2

The name of the study is: Polypterus teugelsi, a new species of bichir from the Upper Cross River system in Cameroon (Actinopterygii: Cladistia: Polypteridae). Ralf Britz

The fishes and the quoted size of 16 inch were collected during that expedition, and are referenced with pictures in the Smithsonian Institution Division of Fishes.

What I don't get is why the pictures and referenced material for Polypterus Teugelsi has pictures of Polypterus Palmas, as seen at the bottom corner of each picture?

Can anyone shed a light?

Here is the link, one needs to search for Polypterus Teugelsi in the top right corner and it will pop up pictures with reference material when you expand.

https://collections.nmnh.si.edu/search/

It is probably easier using the below link

http://collections.si.edu/search/results.htm?q=polypterus+teugelsi

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
So seriously fish seems to NOT verify any of the information it puts out there.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store