Was recommended this can someone critique the ingredients?

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I’m fully aware of the flowerhorn food bs but everybody in a red Texas Facebook group swear by this and I want a second opinion because I am not fully knowledgeable about some specific ingredients but kind of know what to stay away from. RD. RD.
AE135A3E-DAFB-4E18-A8C6-BB9F14B6C3B6.jpeg

Reactions: Matteus

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
From my knowledge It’s not perfect by any means but it doesn’t seem worse than a lot of pellets Hikari and brands. Protein seems a bit higher but I have seen much worse so not much higher than bio gold from Hikari. They do use fish meals a lot of brands do. This just doesn’t strike me to be a particularly bad food for any flowerhorn or cichlid. Not half bad.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
47% minimum crude protein, which means the average analysis would be 50%, perhaps even higher in some batches. IMO that is too high for long term feeding of FH, especially adults.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
47% minimum crude protein, which means the average analysis would be 50%, perhaps even higher in some batches. IMO that is too high for long term feeding of FH, especially adults.
Thoughts on actual ingredients?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My thoughts are the end result is too much protein for a FH.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Would it be good for other predatory fish say bass and rays? Is this an extremely expensive food?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
So did you get any of this Excalibur Ethan? Ingredient list looks pretty good overall imho but yeah agreed with Neil regarding protein rate being too high -- in a nutshell while it might drive faster growth (which many impatient FH owners crave) in the short-term, this would have inevitable health consequences in the long-term. That said I'd say no problem as an occasional feed. There's one (imho quite annoying) YouTuber, Michael's Fish Room, that feeds this to his nice looking FH, though he probably isn't considering or even aware of the protein issue with FH's, he's more of a guppy guy.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
So did you get any of this Excalibur Ethan? Ingredient list looks pretty good overall imho but yeah agreed with Neil regarding protein rate being too high -- in a nutshell while it might drive faster growth (which many impatient FH owners crave) in the short-term, this would have inevitable health consequences in the long-term. That said I'd say no problem as an occasional feed. There's one (imho quite annoying) YouTuber, Michael's Fish Room, that feeds this to his nice looking FH, though he probably isn't considering or even aware of the protein issue with FH's, he's more of a guppy guy.
Nope I didn’t consider it. On Facebook guys are nazi’s about this stuff. One person asked about feeding for their new flowerhorn and I made my recommendations and advice and mentioned that Excalibur was popular with all the guys on the Facebook but I wasn’t sure about it. Suddenly these Excalibur nazi’s hit me with questions like “you don’t support Excalibur?:cry:” “I would like to see what your flowerhorn looks like :swear:“. It seems like this food is just a trend. Like they look down upon people and their fish who don’t feed it lol.

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store