Tiger Oscars, and convict cichlids

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Would upgrading to a fluval fx6 help with the heavy waste? The reason I ask about such a huge filter is that I saw one online for pretty cheap
Yes, it will help with removing solid waste, but that won't help much in regards to supplying fresh water (and minerals) to your fish, or reducing the dissolved organic compounds that build up between those water changes.

I have a 6ft 125 like Jexnell Jexnell posted, with 3 AC 110's for filtration, with a single 13-14" cichlid in that tank. I still do weekly water changes in the 80-90% range. Extra filtration can help one stretch the filter cleaning out a bit, but not the water changes.

I wouldn't put two Carpintis in your tank either. I had a 7in Male outright slaughter a female in a 6ft 125gallon tank. A single would, not a pair in the five footer.

I agree, certainly not the best idea without a divider in place that only a smaller, female, can pss through.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Dawn - your youtube link wouldn't work for me?

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I wouldn't put two Carpintis in your tank either. I had a 7in Male outright slaughter a female in a 6ft 125gallon tank. A single would, not a pair in the five footer.
I thought it was a female Sagittae your carpintis killed. Maybe I’m wrong. It can be a hit or miss with some fish. I have seen
Carpintis pairs breed rather peacefully in even a four foot tank but I believe the same fish that would slaughter its female in a 5 foot tank will do the Same in a six foot.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Yes, it will help with removing solid waste, but that won't help much in regards to supplying fresh water (and minerals) to your fish, or reducing the dissolved organic compounds that build up between those water changes.

I have a 6ft 125 like Jexnell Jexnell posted, with 3 AC 110's for filtration, with a single 13-14" cichlid in that tank. I still do weekly water changes in the 80-90% range. Extra filtration can help one stretch the filter cleaning out a bit, but not the water changes.

I agree, certainly not the best idea without a divider in place that only a smaller, female, can pss through.
Yes atleast a place where the female can get away from the male is necessary but I would only feel the need to do a partial divider in something like four foot tank unless the fish is really nuts.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes atleast a place where the female can get away from the male is necessary but I would only feel the need to do a partial divider in something like four foot tank unless the fish is really nuts.

Male carpintis are typically on the aggro side. As they sexually mature and get some size to them, bad things can often happen to females. Have you successfully kept mature pairs in 4ft tanks?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store