How to lower ammonia?

Arowanablubber

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2019
I tested my water and the ammonia continues to be high. Nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 20ppm but ammonia stays high even after frequent water changes.

Is my faucet water have high ammonia should I use more de-chlorinator?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
How high is your ammonia reading on your tap water?

If you do have ammonia in your tap water and your water changes are single very large ones as opposed to frequent small ones then you need to be using prime to render the ammonia safe until your BB can convert it. If it's a well established tank the ammonia should get converted pretty quick.

If you don't have ammonia in your tap water then YOU are doing something, or there's something going on in your tank that's not right. If you are overfeeding for instance and you have decaying food.

But like I said, the first port of call is finding out what your ppm out of your tap is.

Arowanablubber

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2019

If you do have ammonia in your tap water and your water changes are single very large ones as opposed to frequent small ones then you need to be using prime to render the ammonia safe until your BB can convert it. If it's a well established tank the ammonia should get converted pretty quick.

If you don't have ammonia in your tap water then YOU are doing something, or there's something going on in your tank that's not right. If you are overfeeding for instance and you have decaying food.

But like I said, the first port of call is finding out what your ppm out of your tap is.

Arowanablubber

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2019

My tap water is testing better than my aquarium tank!! My ph and Amonnia is testing normal with tap but my tank is alkaline and high ammonia

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
My tap water is testing better than my aquarium tank!! My ph and Amonnia is testing normal with tap but my tank is alkaline and high ammonia
testing better or testing zero? i agree esoxlucius esoxlucius something is not adding up if you have nitrates, and ammonia but no Nitrites. how old is the tank? if you dont have any ammonia in the tap you need to keep doing WC to get that that down asap. what is the level of ammonia at? what are you testing with? i would stop feeding or cut back alot. if you have high ammonia in your tap i would call your water company that should not be there.

Arowanablubber

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2019
Here’s my specs below:
Aquarium tank water
pH 7.3, Ammonia 2ppm, nitrates is 10, nitrites 0

Tap water
Ph 6.2, ammonia 0

My tank is new but I cycled it but maybe it was finished completely when I added the fish?

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Here’s my specs below:
Aquarium tank water
pH 7.3, Ammonia 2ppm, nitrates is 10, nitrites 0

Tap water
Ph 6.2, ammonia 0

My tank is new but I cycled it but maybe it was finished completely when I added the fish?
wow 2 ppm is high i would do a WC ASAP. it will just take some time to make enough BB to handle your bio load, it is good that you have nitrates so you know you are making BB. i take it you did a fish less cycle. dont feed for a day or two. but just WC and time is all you have

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Decrease feedings. I suggest not feeding for a couple of days and test parameters. Also would rinse out test vials with either Deionized or Distilled water after testing. Your filter may not be able to handle the bioload would add another filter or put more Bio Media in your filter. Agree with above about the Prime.

Arowanablubber

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2019
wow 2 ppm is high i would do a WC ASAP. it will just take some time to make enough BB to handle your bio load, it is good that you have nitrates so you know you are making BB. i take it you did a fish less cycle. dont feed for a day or two. but just WC and time is all you have
Yes I did a fish less cycle. I went and bought more bio filter, did a big WC and will wait another hour or so to retest

Reactions: Tj203
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store