Best monster fish for a beginner

Chicxulub

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2009
Oh okay well are they like super aggressive because too be honest never really heard of them
They're characins, the same group as piranhas or African tigerfish. They have teeth. Their behavior is similar. They can be pretty gnarly when kept with "normal" community fish. They're fun and a great way to get your toes wet in this part of the hobby.

Would a pink tailed chalceus or an odoe pime be good for me maybe
Not in a 30. If you could pick up a used 125 for cheap you'd be in business.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
They're characins, the same group as piranhas or African tigerfish. They have teeth. Their behavior is similar. They can be pretty gnarly when kept with "normal" community fish. They're fun and a great way to get your toes wet in this part of the hobby.

Not in a 30. If you could pick up a used 125 for cheap you'd be in business.
Oh okay but they can live with other fish and wont eat them right ???

Chicxulub

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2009
Oh okay well this is not as simple as i may have thought they are defiantly not like goldfish
Not at all! The dirty open secret to this hobby that's not often discussed is just how many monster community tanks end up with the occasional very expensive feeder lol

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Case in point
20180103_082344.jpg

This is after growing up with them for eight months, she finally outgrew them and they turned from friends to dinner

Reactions: fishhead0103666

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Not at all! The dirty open secret to this hobby that's not often discussed is just how many monster community tanks end up with the occasional very expensive feeder lol
Lol but i mean i had a gold fish survive up to the 8-9 year mark until it died last year from my sister also i raised the goldfish from about when it was 2 months old

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store