Best monster fish for a beginner

Chicxulub

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2009
Case in point
View attachment 1414821

This is after growing up with them for eight months, she finally outgrew them and they turned from friends to dinner
Yeah this

Lol but i mean i had a gold fish survive up to the 8-9 year mark until it died last year from my sister also i raised the goldfish from about when it was 2 months old
Fair, but goldfish aren't typically kept in a community where their tankmates are the highest risk cause for their mortality :p

Oh wow i knew oscars where agressive but didn't know they were that aggressive also what species of fish is that in her mouth it looks like a barb???
Denison's barb

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Oh wow i knew oscars where agressive but didn't know they were that aggressive also what species of fish is that in her mouth it looks like a barb???
It's a Roseline shark alias Denison bard
20180719_165256.jpg
Very cool fish, perfer groups need lots of room, very busy fish always swimming, great tank cleaners, eat the poo as the Oscar made it.
20171224_002721.jpg

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Yeah this

Fair, but goldfish aren't typically kept in a community where their tankmates are the highest risk cause for their mortality :p

Denison's barb
No yeah goldfish are very peacful only time my goldfish killed another fish it was a pleco it tailed slaped it and it bled to death the poor thing never again put again another fish besides a goldfish

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Petsmart probably don't carry it do to them being a pretty pricey fish. $15 to $20 each for a small 2in one.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Okay but im making pond soon literally in the beginning of summer and when this covid 19 ends
Hi, I'm not trying to be a party pooper but, what if (a question you should always ask in this hobby) the corona thing doesn't end in summer?
What if out of nowhere it blows up and gets 10x worse?
Or what if your parents change their minds and dont want a pond anymore come the summer?
What if the world economy is so bad at the end of this that you can't afford/source what you need to build the pond?
What if the local council won't let you build a pond?

Hypothetically if one of these scenarios were to happen and you already had monster fish in a grow out that they were quickly outgrowing, what would you do? What happens to the fish, will you euthanize them?
Will you give them away? What if no one wants them?
Will you keep them in a tank that is too small for them until it all gets better? What if that takes months, or even years?

Basically, you don't yet have the fish. You have the power to not get the fish until you've built the pond.
I know its hard, you want them and have the best intentions to upgrade their home as soon as possible, but as a lot of adults will tell you, life doesn't always go as planned unfortunately.

An experienced keeper can get away with an impulse buy every now and then, someone with little experience should try to avoid buying fish that they can't yet house for life.

Tl;dr?
You don't have a pond yet so you have no need to buy monster fish until you have a place to house them at full size.
It would be safer and more practical to have a home for the animal before acquiring it.

Sorry if that comes across as rude, I don't mean for it to. Just some friendly advice from someone who knows that life doesn't always go as expected. :)

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Hi, I'm not trying to be a party pooper but, what if (a question you should always ask in this hobby) the corona thing doesn't end in summer?
What if out of nowhere it blows up and gets 10x worse?
Or what if your parents change their minds and dont want a pond anymore come the summer?
What if the world economy is so bad at the end of this that you can't afford/source what you need to build the pond?
What if the local council won't let you build a pond?

Hypothetically if one of these scenarios were to happen and you already had monster fish in a grow out that they were quickly outgrowing, what would you do? What happens to the fish, will you euthanize them?
Will you give them away? What if no one wants them?
Will you keep them in a tank that is too small for them until it all gets better? What if that takes months, or even years?

Basically, you don't yet have the fish. You have the power to not get the fish until you've built the pond.
I know its hard, you want them and have the best intentions to upgrade their home as soon as possible, but as a lot of adults will tell you, life doesn't always go as planned unfortunately.

An experienced keeper can get away with an impulse buy every now and then, someone with little experience should try to avoid buying fish that they can't yet house for life.

Tl;dr?
You don't have a pond yet so you have no need to buy monster fish until you have a place to house them at full size.
It would be safer and more practical to have a home for the animal before acquiring it.

Sorry if that comes across as rude, I don't mean for it to. Just some friendly advice from someone who knows that life doesn't always go as expected. :)
Okay well that makes sense i guess ill hold of on the monster fish until everything is set so I can give them the proper keeping they deserve and also dont worry i didnt find it coming out as rude ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store