Best monster fish for a beginner

Chicxulub

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2009
Yup its painful but true also i have a question is there any mini monster fish that behaves like an aripama but doesnt grow so big or it looks like it a bit
African butterfly fish are osteoglossiformes, which also contains arapaima and arowanas. Go look at pics of their faces on google. Their head looks almost exactly like that of a silver or black arowana, and their behavior is also pretty close. Worth a look. They stay small enough to work for a long time in a 30, too.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
African butterfly fish are osteoglossiformes, which also contains arapaima and arowanas. Go look at pics of their faces on google. Their head looks almost exactly like that of a silver or black arowana, and their behavior is also pretty close. Worth a look. They stay small enough to work for a long time in a 30, too.
Oh okay well thx will do ima search them up now

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Okay well that makes sense i guess ill hold of on the monster fish until everything is set so I can give them the proper keeping they deserve and also dont worry i didnt find it coming out as rude ?
Thats good to hear, beautiful creatures do deserve a beautiful life. I think you're on your way to becoming a great fish keeper. :D

Boy isn't that the damned painful truth
Oh yeah, had I been asked at 12 whether I thought I'd go through some of the stuff I've been through I would have laughed and said "none of that will happen to me" but, lo and behold, it did lol

ryang85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2019
I wouldn't consider them monsters but as a bigginer African haps or peacocks can give you a pretty good bang for your buck, they are relatively cheap and if your pond can maintain a steady temp around 78 to 82 degrees you can fit a lot on that size pond. They are colorful and a pretty interactive fish that are fun to watch. If you go that route a few syno cats will fill the catfish void.

Most Malawi cichlids are fairly hardy fish and you'll learn a lot before you invest big money and time into something like Pbass. Just make sure you understand the nitrogen cycle and how aggression works in African tanks, a 30gal is a perfect grow out as well. Sounds like you do your research so youl be fine.
Also on your pond I would highly recommend taking the time and putting a side window, a lot of good looking fish are camouflage from the top unlike goldfish so you won't be able to see much other than them feeding.
If your parents allow you to have a tank inside, you can pick up 125 gal or less on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for cheep, I've gotten 100 gallon complete set ups for less than 150 dollars. I would start with a 120 gallon tank, you can touch into the big tank world without having to invest the time and money when something goes wrong.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store