Why do pet stores not sell native fish?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
All good reasons and possible any of them could be correct or a mix of them. I think as others have said that part of it is how well some of these fish could do or would do if released even in colder waters. Another aspect that Jexnell Jexnell touched on is the laws pertaining to catching and keeping fish. Some you can catch and release only others you can keep but only to eat you can't house it as a pet. Weird laws. I really like perch I think they are cool looking and what about a musky instead of the arapaima?

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
I also would like to add that some species don't do well in warm water so not everyone wants to hookup a chiller or setup aquarium in their basement. I personally like my native Rainbow Darter but Central Air went out and started losing them fast. I don't want to put anymore Darters in that situation again.
lots of natives dont need a chiller, my sunfish have a heater in their tank because of the pleco, granted without a heater the water is around 60-65

Reactions: tlindsey

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Jexnell already said people are willing to release the native fish they catch into some water way that it does not belong and wiping out those fish species in that area. There is a local Park near my town has all Green Terror species and nothing else, it's killed or ate all other smaller fish species.
woah do u catch them? what region do u live in?

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
All good reasons and possible any of them could be correct or a mix of them. I think as others have said that part of it is how well some of these fish could do or would do if released even in colder waters. Another aspect that Jexnell Jexnell touched on is the laws pertaining to catching and keeping fish. Some you can catch and release only others you can keep but only to eat you can't house it as a pet. Weird laws. I really like perch I think they are cool looking and what about a musky instead of the arapaima?
yea people are tempted but honestly people that would buy the natives would have enough experience not to release them imo. i think like people who are amateur enough to release their pet would take more interest in a RTC or a clown knife. but then again who knows

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store