Ideas for an all Amphilophus tank....

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
A bit of an update on the Sagittae. Jexnell Jexnell here is a pic of the one I call two face, the one that is deformed.

For those keeping up with this thread you know I started with 3 of Casper's kids ( Jexnell Jexnell Sagittae fry) from Wet Spot. I lost the first due to introducing to my big tank too soon and it was ate by my endli. The other two started growing out and I noticed that one started to look a bit off. As it grew the defect was more noticeable. Here is a pic that clearly shows the defect.
IMG_20201113_142312662.jpg
Yes it looks like a blood parrot, lol.

Anyway as I was raising it, I decided to cull it and put it in my puffer tanks and neither one would touch it. I finally decided to put it in with my trimac thinking it would take it out... well it has been in there for months and they get along fairly well and the trimac chases it a bit on occasion but overall it is a surprising relationship. At this point the Sagittae will live out its life with the trimac. It seems to be a runt and the growth rate is very slow. It seems happy and very bold for its size.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Update on the 300, tank is in turmoil again, lol. I believe the Sagittae to be female and the big devil has been extra aggressive. The two have went through the motions of digging and dancing about but not really there yet. If I do have to rehome the Sagittae that leaves me with the two Petsmart devils and two true midas. Of those the one devil looks nicely patterned but just wont grow a nuchal hump. Out of the midas one is plain orange and looks almost like the Petsmart devil but very small hump. Sad to say, I could easily rehome these two and not be sad. My favorite still is the Petsmart mutt and the two color true midas.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Female Saggitae you say.... humm

How big is she again?
Maybe about 4 1/2 to 5”... Im the worst at sizing by eye. I haven’t seen tube drop enough to say 100% female but the way they are dancing and digging, the Sagittae is playing out the female at this point.

Reactions: Jexnell

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Reactions: DMD123

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
You should keep of all these guys of course including the dominant petsmart devil they all look fantastic!
Thanks, once I rehome the troublesome Sagittae I need to figure out what Im going to do. I have a buddy who has some nice barred midas fry but I dont feel like growing out any more fish. He also has a nice big bifa Im interested in.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Just caught the trouble maker Sagittae from the 300 and taking her into my local fish store. No plans to replace her. Took a year to grow her out to a size she could be in the 300 and not wanting to do that again. Hopefully the rest of the amphilophus settle back down without a female in there.

Reactions: Deadeye

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Took the Sagittae into a local shop called Aquarium Paradise. Ran into a buddy there, lol. Good to catch up with you fishguy1978 fishguy1978 !

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Took the Sagittae into a local shop called Aquarium Paradise. Ran into a buddy there, lol. Good to catch up with you fishguy1978 fishguy1978 !
Me too, always glad to accidentally "bump" into a fellow keeper

Reactions: DMD123
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store