Ideas for an all Amphilophus tank....

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Tank update: with the female Sagittae gone the 300 gallon tank is pretty calm. Currently 4 amphilophus in the tank and no major issues. The dominant male Petsmart red devil is a good peace keeper when not sprung to mate. He does light chase on the sub dominant midas but no real damage, just kind of a keep him in check thing. The other fish submit well so again pretty calm.

No issues with the two large bichir. As juveniles the amphilophus nipped at them but as adults they are totally ignored. This includes when the attempts at breeding happened, the bichir were never bit or even pushed out of potential breeding sites.

The bala sharks do on occasion get a nip at by a couple of the amphilophus but pretty much left alone for the most part. The only real aggression seems bala on bala related. Had always heard they were schooling and required others, but I think a solo one would be fine, (in my opinion).

This is the point where I need to leave well enough alone. I am already heavily stocked, have a relatively peaceful tank but... lol, there’s always a but. But I want to add a male bifa to the mix. My buddy has a nice large male that would look good in there. Will keep the updates coming.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Tank update: with the female Sagittae gone the 300 gallon tank is pretty calm. Currently 4 amphilophus in the tank and no major issues. The dominant male Petsmart red devil is a good peace keeper when not sprung to mate. He does light chase on the sub dominant midas but no real damage, just kind of a keep him in check thing. The other fish submit well so again pretty calm.

No issues with the two large bichir. As juveniles the amphilophus nipped at them but as adults they are totally ignored. This includes when the attempts at breeding happened, the bichir were never bit or even pushed out of potential breeding sites.

The bala sharks do on occasion get a nip at by a couple of the amphilophus but pretty much left alone for the most part. The only real aggression seems bala on bala related. Had always heard they were schooling and required others, but I think a solo one would be fine, (in my opinion).

This is the point where I need to leave well enough alone. I am already heavily stocked, have a relatively peaceful tank but... lol, there’s always a but. But I want to add a male bifa to the mix. My buddy has a nice large male that would look good in there. Will keep the updates coming.
There are several large cichlids on CL.

Reactions: DMD123

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Been “wood working” and getting some Mopani pieces prepped for the 300. Large one had to have some high points cut at bottom so it would sit safely in the upright position. Had been soaking this one for a while and it finally is at the point where tannins were low enough that I wanted to put it in the big tank.
E120B096-BBC3-401A-AE22-DF362DCB5278.png
Two more smaller ones that I had to mount onto slate. Right one had been boiled and soaked, left one I just purchased and just dropped in the big tank. Will see how it does. If it releases too much tannins I will pull it out to boil and speed up the process.
B1BA04F6-01C8-4FB8-AA19-D2EE1CE45DE7.png
The end result in the tank
B4B9F5A5-F2B9-4B59-8257-61979A87B73A.png
A bit closer look
8A86DB56-EE82-4099-908B-DB959CCDF6B5.png
Down to 4 amphilophus in here and they are getting along fairly well. I have one more Petsmart mutt I recently purchased growing out in the garage that will eventually go in here too. Here is a recent garage fish room pic... in a moment of cleanness, lol
79702966-57A6-4538-A925-0A7EDEE2FE3A.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store