Our 2 foot, 5 year old wyckii

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Any idea of the current size of this Wyckii? I have heard local fishermen claim sizes close to 4ft (120cm+). One of mine is around the 30 inch mark.
I'd think this must be a case of confusion with other much larger Hemibagrus, like wyckioides, maydelli, etc.

Ours has been growing excruciatingly slowly, perhaps 26"-28" currently, tip to tip not counting extensions of course.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
I've noticed about 2 inches of growth on my Wyckii in about a 17 month time frame. I currently have 2 Wyckii.. the largest came in at 27-28 inches and has about 2 inches of growth on him.. the smaller one came in at 14-15 inches at the same time and is about 24-25 inches now.
I doubt the local fishermen are confusing the IDs because from what I understand, the ARTC ( H. wyckioides) aren't found in Indonesian rivers.. I grilled them about those claims and begged for pictures/proof. Hopefully I will have some kind of proof soon. There is an unverified Albino Wyckii in the hands of an exporter (Hendy of Big Aqua Indonesia) in the 34-36 inch range.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
I'd think this must be a case of confusion with other much larger Hemibagrus, like wyckioides, maydelli, etc.

Ours has been growing excruciatingly slowly, perhaps 26"-28" currently, tip to tip not counting extensions of course.
They do get to 4ft. Biggest wyckii caught that I know of is 21kg. Biggest with picture is 18kg. 4kg wyckii around 28-30"

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Whilst I have seen a number of photos over the years of Wyckii around the 36” mark I have not seen any of Wyckii larger. All the larger fish have been Wyckiodes and maydelli.
That’s not to say they don’t exist, but just to show how little actual documented info we have when most if not all the information sites we rely on still register 710mm as the largest recorded fish. (Which we know is no longer the case).
Photographing, weighing and measuring are no doubt not at the forefront of most local fisherman's thoughts. Which of course is not surprising.
Would be nice though if we could get more documented proof.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you all for your inputs, I appreciate it.

That has been my impression too as Dave's - 3 feet max. Never heard of bigger prior to your comments above. I like to flatter myself that I am skeptical to a healthy degree and yet open-minded.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store