True parrot cichlid tankmates

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I will be setting up a new 180 over the next few weeks. I was wanting to know about the true parrot cichlid and possible tank mates.

I was thinking astronotus crassipinnis and perhaps chocolate cichlids as possible tank mates. Trying to hear more to South American.

80 gallon sump and can throw on a canister filter if needed. Any ideas?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
A crassipinnis or two would probably work if you can find them, but keep in mind with those three fish your tank will be pretty close to fully stocked since they all get so large. Other good suggestions with the true parrot would be geophagus, some crenicichla species (would avoid the most aggressive/largest like venezuelans), SA characins like flagtail prochilodus, plecos. Lots of south american options out there. I would have a look through Tangledupincichlids stock list.

Reactions: gaisller

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
A crassipinnis or two would probably work if you can find them, but keep in mind with those three fish your tank will be pretty close to fully stocked since they all get so large. Other good suggestions with the true parrot would be geophagus, some crenicichla species (would avoid the most aggressive/largest like venezuelans), SA characins like flagtail prochilodus, plecos. Lots of south american options out there. I would have a look through Tangledupincichlids stock list.
There are a few of those kicking around up here. Just have to get my hands on them.

I am not a huge fan of geo though I do like jurupari. Maybe some of the smaller acara like species or cichlasoma?

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
There are a few of those kicking around up here. Just have to get my hands on them.

I am not a huge fan of geo though I do like jurupari. Maybe some of the smaller acara like species or cichlasoma?
My Aequidens sp. Jenaro herrera / yellow acara is a total pushover even compared to my chocolate, though she is female which might make her more docile. Anyway, with the more peaceful temperament, acaras may end up really getting beaten up by a true parrot in your tank. Perhaps something a little tougher like a GT would be a better choice.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
The only large cichlid my psittacus ever hated was a chocolate cichlid. To the point I had to separate them. Hypselecara are very similar to Hoplarchus — same shape, large bright eyes, deep-set mouths...

I didn’t have a problem keeping psittacus with Heros, pike cichlids, or Geophagus. Pick big, sturdy fish. Hoplarchus males will grow 12 - 14” and gladly eat anything small if they can catch it. Mine hunted down 4” pike cichlids and some convicts I tried once.

Reactions: Toiletcar

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
The ones I've seen always seem so chill, I'd never imagine them chasing down small fish. I guess makes sense just always associated Oscars, Pike's, umbees etc as eating other fish.

I was just thinking with my selection was looks, but that is deceiving

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Mine wanted to be the dominant fish in the tank. It fought off 12” Crenicichla lenticulata. It tried to hunt and kill anything I added to the tank that was under 4” or so, digging under driftwood and flowerpots to try and get stuff that hid. Like any massive cichlid they will take the opportunity when it presents itself.

A9B45B21-3B1B-4E01-8892-78A7A842EF86.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store