Jack Dempsey

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
I wish...but she already paired with the parrot (at least I don’t get fry coming every week).
Ha- she isn’t going to stay in a non fruitful scenario. If she has options she will use them. My parents had a couple Dempsey / convict spawns one summer while I was at camp back in the 90s and they were taking care of the fish.

Dempseys have more or less always been a favorite. They can be a little shy like a salvini can would be my major critique but that can be mitigated enough for me.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It amazing that most don't know who Jack Dempsey was and what he did for a living. After I found out I said perfect name for this Cichlid.
I agree.
Another thing I find cool is that the scientific name “rocio” sounds like Rocky.

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
It amazing that most don't know who Jack Dempsey was and what he did for a living. After I found out I said perfect name for this Cichlid.
After owning a couple of males years ago(at different times), I haven't found that they live up to their name. But then again, my 2nd GT has finally lived up to the name Green Terror.

I wish...but she already paired with the parrot (at least I don’t get fry coming every week).
He may still be trying to convince her, only time will tell.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ha- she isn’t going to stay in a non fruitful scenario. If she has options she will use them. My parents had a couple Dempsey / convict spawns one summer while I was at camp back in the 90s and they were taking care of the fish.

Dempseys have more or less always been a favorite. They can be a little shy like a salvini can would be my major critique but that can be mitigated enough for me.
After owning a couple of males years ago(at different times), I haven't found that they live up to their name. But then again, my 2nd GT has finally lived up to the name Green Terror.

I’ll keep my eye out then. The parrot is a crappy husband anyway. Does not help with the nest or defend the female at all unless the leporinus is involved... maybe there is gonna be an affair going on lol.

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire

My experience with aquarium Dempseys is that they are usually going to hide and they aren’t typically going togo out of there way to bully a fish but that as they mature They will be hyper territorial about their hiding spot. And will hammer anything they can see from it. And when it comes to breeding they’re highly aggressive but maybe not quite as much as some convicts. But on a large scale. You’ll usually see the male fight or flight from the spawn while the fry and female hit the deck.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I can’t even find mine sometimes. Almost always lurking. Not nearly as outwardly aggressive as my other cichlids. Only goes for chases sometimes when he’s bored.

Reactions: C. Breeze

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Thank you is anyone able to help me sex this JD
Male
You can tell with the blue around the mouth and gills. It will be much more blue on a female, while males just have the spots and lines.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store