Is the Top Fin 125 Gallon Aquarium Combo Any Good?

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
Thinking about getting this tank and stand combo!! What is your take?
I hear mixed reviews about the stand but am scared because this is a big tank.

Joshuakahan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Thinking about getting this tank and stand combo!! What is your take?
I hear mixed reviews about the stand but am scared because this is a big tank.
I’ve always passed on these because of the reviews stating they leak. Where there’s smoke, there’s fire, I’d stay away

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I bought the Top Fin / Marineland 120 gal. combo from Petsmart, eight years ago. It was the Black Friday sale, got it for $300 even.
The Top Fin 125 combo was also on sale, but I liked the deeper more boxy shape of the 120.
Both combos had thick glass, black silicone, glass tops & cheap lights. Of course the stands are constructed with particle board. Seems most are nowadays. I thought the stand was a little flimsy, but after tightening it up things were fine.
The tank has been up & running all this time w/ no problems. The combo had a one year warranty.
As for alledged leaks, reports of leaks from all brands of aquariums can be found on line. Some leaks are manufacturing mistakes, but a large percentage of leaks are caused by erroneous leveling.
Considering the Top Fin combos are warranted, IMO, not too risky a choice. Much safer than buying a big second hand tank.

Reactions: tlindsey and deeda

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I too have a Top Fin/Marineland 125 combo which I purchased used but which looked like new. Other than the particle board stand (standard in combos, it seems), I feel it is well build, good looking, and not thin glass (as per today's standards).

Reactions: tlindsey

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
I think I am going to give it a shot. I will make sure the stand is tightend well. It does have a warranty also.
But first I am going to see if I can find other tanks first.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I think Jexnell Jexnell had some of the petsmart 125 setups. I have an older one that's been set up for about 9 years without any problems. Mine is when they used to come with the plain black cabinet.

One small problem is the cabinet door openings are too small to fit large canister filters like fx5's, so it makes cleaning them interesting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store