Is the Top Fin 125 Gallon Aquarium Combo Any Good?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Yes I got my tanks from Petsmart, but they where made by Aqueon. They just recently switched to Topfin making these.
Mine both had lifetime guarantees if used on the stand it came with. As mentioned the storage compartments are not that tall. Stands are only 28in tall. FX4s would fit not sure of a FX6. The stands are particle board so have to stay dry at all cost. 20210409_074336.jpg

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Here is what I eventually dealt with:

The tank is solid and still going strong, but the stand became a ticking time bomb after 2 years due to water damage (which is really hard to completely avoid). I always thought of the stand as a temporary solution that needed to be replaced within 1-2 years, and that's exactly what happened (unfortunately under a slightly more urgent situation than I was anticipating lol).

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
I think Jexnell Jexnell had some of the petsmart 125 setups. I have an older one that's been set up for about 9 years without any problems. Mine is when they used to come with the plain black cabinet.

One small problem is the cabinet door openings are too small to fit large canister filters like fx5's, so it makes cleaning them interesting.
I don't mind that. I can make do with it.
I am thinking about doing that PetSmart credit where you pay $125 a month until fully paid off.

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
Yes I got my tanks from Petsmart, but they where made by Aqueon. They just recently switched to Topfin making these.
Mine both had lifetime guarantees if used on the stand it came with. As mentioned the storage compartments are not that tall. Stands are only 28in tall. FX4s would fit not sure of a FX6. The stands are particle board so have to stay dry at all cost. View attachment 1475167
Tank looks good!

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
Here is what I eventually dealt with:

The tank is solid and still going strong, but the stand became a ticking time bomb after 2 years due to water damage (which is really hard to completely avoid). I always thought of the stand as a temporary solution that needed to be replaced within 1-2 years, and that's exactly what happened (unfortunately under a slightly more urgent situation than I was anticipating lol).
I will try my best not to get the stand wet at all. I will be extremely careful during water changes etc.

Reactions: tlindsey

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
The tank on the right was running three years, and is still up and running via the guy that bought it from me. The one on the left I had less than a year.
The danger is on overflowing during refilling. If you do make sure if you do kinda go overkill on getting up any water.
I did one time, went overboard with a wet/dry vacuum to ensure I got it all.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Mine came with a different model stand, also particle board. It has a single door in the center, and two shelves on each side. The center (with door) is tall enough for an fx6, which stands on top of 3 bricks, all within a plastic pail. That is how I operate my two fx6 in two tanks. Small leaks in service are contained in the pail.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
That 125 gallon setup used to be made by aqueon. I think quality might have gone down a little. For lights at least as they appear shorter.

These usually go on sale for 500 and you can add 25% off coupon on top of it. After that it's 375 which is a pretty good deal.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Although the Allglass aquarium manufacturer is not in business anymore the stand that came with it was made from partical board. The aquarium was built in before 1995 if I remember correctly. Had to build a stand for it 3 years ago.

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Particle board isn’t bad. Start off understanding it’s cheap manufacture. Check it thoroughly for tightness. Color match caulk the wood joints. Seal up any exposed particle edge, usually the back edges. Paint it again and it’ll last the life of the tank. 50$ in extra material when new. Also can add 2x4 reinforcements in corners if your somewhat handy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store