True piraiba aka Brachyplatystoma filamentosum

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you Kolt! Always love your input.

As wrong as they are, they are interesting thoughts haha... I believe I've come to know piraiba a bit. They are timid fish, even our 5-footer 7 yo; they are the sheep, but not when it comes to hunting, then they are lions, ruthless, careless whether they can swallow the prey or nor, they will just attack, kill first, ask questions later!

IDK why you include the hybrid into this. The piraiba attacked two marbled pim catfish. (The TSNxRTC hybrid currently sharing the 240 gal tank with the injured marbled pim indeed came from the same 4500 gal but for being a thug and robber, having nothing to do with the piraiba hunt...).

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Thank you Kolt! Always love your input.
No problem Viktor, I always enjoy learning from and commenting on your threads. I love how you continuously update them so people can follow along and see your experiences in a linear fashion. I think it makes for a informative read, so thank you!

As wrong as they are, they are interesting thoughts haha... I believe I've come to know piraiba a bit. They are timid fish, even our 5-footer 7 yo; they are the sheep, but not when it comes to hunting, then they are lions, ruthless, careless whether they can swallow the prey or nor, they will just attack, kill first, ask questions later!
I've followed along the thread and I thought the reason you call the dominant Piraiba the dominant one is because it was aggressive to the other Piraiba causing it to have a hard time feeding. Based on what I thought I remembered of your observations I logically assumed that perhaps this was more aggression since the attacks are focused solely on species within it's Family. I guess I remember wrong and therefore my deduction was based on incorrect information since there was never aggression toward the second Piraiba from the dominant Piraiba, my apologies.

IDK why you include the hybrid into this. The piraiba attacked two marbled pim catfish. (The TSNxRTC hybrid currently sharing the 240 gal tank with the injured marbled pim indeed came from the same 4500 gal but for being a thug and robber, having nothing to do with the piraiba hunt...).
I included him because you mentioned in the video around the 2 minute mark that he(the Hybrid) and the Pims have been being damaged by unknown culprits and now you believe you know what was happening. My apologies, when you said that I thought you where connecting the Pims damage and the Hybrids with the attacks you just mentioned. I guess you must've been referencing something else unrelated that I missed, sorry Viktor.

I would humbly suggest though checking on your Pims health, since you believe it to be a predatory attack. Targets of predation are invariably chosen because of some perceived weakness by the predator. As you know the weaker the prey the less likely the predator will be injured in a predatory attack and the more likely the attack will be successful. It's purely instinctual and they do it without even thinking or understanding.

Since you have eliminated the fact that the victims where in the same Family and the attacks not aggression related it may mean the Pims and Hybrid maybe suffering from something like you experienced with the Trachys. A disease that they specifically are vulnerable making them weak which is causing the Piraiba to only attempt to predate only on them, driven by it's instincts.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Bleeech! :yuck:

And I thought I was unlucky when my gravel vacuum got a mind of its own and spit pleco poop onto the rug!
The pleco in question was since rehomed precisely because of the massive amounts of poop, which clearly isn't an option for you, lol.

• Haha

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No problem Viktor, I always enjoy learning from and commenting on your threads. I love how you continuously update them so people can follow along and see your experiences in a linear fashion. I think it makes for a informative read, so thank you!
Sometimes I think you are the only one who appreciate it. Or maybe there is a handful. The vast majority don't seem to care because only a handful of MFKers do their threads that way. Which is ok. I've no expectations. Live and let live. Thank you, brother.

I've followed along the thread and I thought the reason you call the dominant Piraiba the dominant one is because it was aggressive to the other Piraiba causing it to have a hard time feeding. Based on what I thought I remembered of your observations I logically assumed that perhaps this was more aggression since the attacks are focused solely on species within it's Family. I guess I remember wrong and therefore my deduction was based on incorrect information since there was never aggression toward the second Piraiba from the dominant Piraiba, my apologies.
Yes, but more. The dominant piraiba also not skittish with other tank mates. No, you are recalling and reasoning all right. The alpha piraiba dominated the beta one, not always conspicuously but it has been from day one back in 2017.

The attacks now have included a cichlid. So, no, far not only Pims are on the agenda. Two videos will follow and expand.

I included him because you mentioned in the video around the 2 minute mark that he(the Hybrid) and the Pims have been being damaged by unknown culprits and now you believe you know what was happening. My apologies, when you said that I thought you where connecting the Pims damage and the Hybrids with the attacks you just mentioned. I guess you must've been referencing something else unrelated that I missed, sorry Viktor.
No you are all correct again... A-a-ah, that's right. I couldn't understand why you involved the hybrid. Yes, the piraibas have possibly bit the hybrid, the IDS, and other tank mates in the 4500 gal in the past. I used to think just occasional disputes and wasn't sure who... but now, again, with the most recent attacks, I change my mind and now think it is likely some or all the doing of the piraibas and the hunger that pushed them to do it.

I would humbly suggest though checking on your Pims health, since you believe it to be a predatory attack. Targets of predation are invariably chosen because of some perceived weakness by the predator. As you know the weaker the prey the less likely the predator will be injured in a predatory attack and the more likely the attack will be successful. It's purely instinctual and they do it without even thinking or understanding.

Since you have eliminated the fact that the victims where in the same Family and the attacks not aggression related it may mean the Pims and Hybrid maybe suffering from something like you experienced with the Trachys. A disease that they specifically are vulnerable making them weak which is causing the Piraiba to only attempt to predate only on them, driven by it's instincts.
All very logical and beautiful thinking but life is more complex. Or sometimes less complex. All 3 piaribas in our hands have shown themselves to prey on tank mates they can't even remotely swallow and with no rhyme or reason related to tank mate health - some ill tank mates are totally ignored while the vibrant and healthy are attacked.

As stated, more to follow soon. Stay tuned.

• Love
Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Sometimes I think you are the only one who appreciate it. Or maybe there is a handful. The vast majority don't seem to care because only a handful of MFKers do their threads that way. Which is ok. I've no expectations. Live and let live. Thank you, brother.
You're welcome Viktor. I think there are many who silently appreciate it. As for posting their own thread I believe there are many factors that contribute to many not doing a long term progress thread. Some may often change up their stock making long term threads not a consideration. Others may have issues keeping fish long term and find sharing losses disheartening. Others still realize that a lot of lengthy threads are glossed over at very least some of the thread is ignored usually for the most recent posts. I could go on but I digress.

I actually respect your ability to show your losses and your ability to power through them as you do your best to learn everything you can from all you experience. Many have a hard time showing such things out of fear of being judged especially since many see these things as personal failures which is not the case. Life and death is a fickle thing and sometimes despite our best efforts we're dealt a bad hand. We should try to persevere and if there is something to learn not shy away from it and hopefully our fellow hobbyist will encourage us and if possible offer knowledge rather then castigate us so we can grow to be the best that we can.

Yes, but more. The dominant piraiba also not skittish with other tank mates. No, you are recalling and reasoning all right. The alpha piraiba dominated the beta one, not always conspicuously but it has been from day one back in 2017.

The attacks now have included a cichlid. So, no, far not only Pims are on the agenda. Two videos will follow and expand.
Ahhh, again my apologies I was under the impression it was just the Pims and Hybrid that where on the receiving end of the attacks.

No you are all correct again... A-a-ah, that's right. I couldn't understand why you involved the hybrid. Yes, the piraibas have possibly bit the hybrid, the IDS, and other tank mates in the 4500 gal in the past. I used to think just occasional disputes and wasn't sure who... but now, again, with the most recent attacks, I change my mind and now think it is likely some or all the doing of the piraibas and the hunger that pushed them to do it.
Truly interesting, I wonder what is triggering the predatory behavior? Is it possible they are like that in the wild? Severely opportunistic to the point that they are almost like fin and scale eaters and attack anything within a set vicinity around them? Hard to imagine as that seems like such a waste of energy for such a large fish to expend for so little reward. I truly do hope you figure it our as I find the predatory behavior very interesting.

All very logical and beautiful thinking but life is more complex. Or sometimes less complex. All 3 piaribas in our hands have shown themselves to prey on tank mates they can't even remotely swallow and with no rhyme or reason related to tank mate health - some ill tank mates are totally ignored while the vibrant and healthy are attacked.

As stated, more to follow soon. Stay tuned.
Will do, can't wait to see the updates and hopefully the mystery solved.

• Love
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store