Red Wolf!

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Yeah- I get that but also have many tanks running and many that can be setup in a few minutes. I’ve kept the species as a singleton for about 5yrs before it wedged itself into an overflow.
I believe it’s like tiger barbs or pikes- too few is destined to fail, other groups and a tank filled with tunnels is more likely- especially if raised together.

I think it’s sexual dimorphism. The rainbows are so much nicer then the purples.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Do the terms "red", "rainbow", "purple", etc. refer to actual different colour varieties and variations? I always assumed they were synonymous names for the same fish, generated by salesmen rather than scientists.

My fish was labelled "rainbow wolf" in the store, and that retailer is extremely good about properly identifying its livestock.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
There are 3 different color types that I’m aware of.
The mostly red, the mostly purple and the one I had that was purple with a yellow band

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Quick update regarding the Red Wolf, who, like all my fish, suffered a drastic cooling of his tank when my power went out for a bit over 24 hours while nobody was home. The temp in his tank was down in the low 50-s (Fahrenheit) for at least several hours.

Once power was restored, the tank heated back up to normal within a few hours. The outage lasted from Saturday morning until Sunday afternoon. By Sunday night temps were back to normal. The wolffish was invisible for this entire period, but my wife offered a light feeding of freeze-dried krill on Tuesday evening and he immediately emerged from hiding and ate enthusiastically.

I won't actually see him myself for about two more weeks when my work rotation ends, but his once-again-normal behaviour and especially his good appetite seem to bode well...despite a drop in temperature of over 20 Fahrenheit degrees, followed by a similar increase, all within approximately 36 hours.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Just got home from my work rotation in the north; all looks good with the wolffish and others. The wolf is noticeably longer and has filled out nicely compared to the emaciated waif I brought home. Colour is starting to develop, with some smallish patches of orange becoming visible. He's nothing like the beautiful pics shown here and elsewhere of fully grown specimens, but it looks hopeful.

Having kept assorted large predatory catfish, snakeheads, aros and others over the years, I am somewhat surprised at this fish's almost delicate approach to swallowing food. His attack is swift and direct, but food items like large guppies, large chunks of krill, earthworms, large pellets, etc seem to require quite a lot of chewing, shaking and dismemberment before he swallows the smaller resulting pieces. An earthworm that would be immediately gulped down by a snakehead or bowfin of similar size to this fish, requires many minutes of this abuse before finally going down the hatch...in chunks. I'm going to be careful to provide small enough food items to minimize chances of choking, and also to reduce the amount of particulate and liquid waste being squeezed into the water.

Having said that, this fish is far, far easier to wean onto dead/frozen/prepared foods than many other predators. I've never really had difficulties switching most of them to non-living food items, but depending upon the species there was usually a period of training and familiarization required. Methods of presentation had to be perfected in order for the switch to be painless and effective; although once a predator is "broken" to frozen and/or pelleted foods, it's usually a done deal and feeding is easy after that point.

With this guy, no effort required. Once he overcame his initial fear and shyness, feeding was pretty much a matter of throwing something in and watching him eat it. In addition to natural foods like small fish, krill (frozen or freeze-dried) and earthworms, he readily takes any pellet of the appropriate size, either floating or sinking. Locating food is obviously done by scent (the introduction of food brings him out of his lair very quickly, assuming that opening the lid hasn't already done that) and also by sight. He homes in quickly on floating pellets, despite the fact that the surface is largely covered by duckweed; and sinking pellets that have not been seized on the way down are approached with confidence and plucked off the bottom or wherever they lay.

If anyone were to doubt that the fish has and utilizes excellent eyesight for hunting, all that needs be done is to quietly enter the fishroom and then shine a laser-aimed remote temperature sensor into or near the tank. When hiding, he is obviously keeping an eye on his surroundings from his place of concealment; that dancing red dot elicits an immediate attack response and he pursues it avidly, and watches it intently if it is shining on a surface outside the tank. I've never had a fish react that way, but in fairness I only got one that cool little laser toy recently. :)

Maybe tech isn't evil; gotta get a digital camera soon and start taking pics of aquarium fish, something my phone just won't do very well. :)

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Having said that, this fish is far, far easier to wean onto dead/frozen/prepared foods than many other predators.
Great to hear, and I'm happy for you that this is the case:thumbsup:

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Read through this entire thread… nice wife you have….

also, any pics?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store