Good heater for 125 gallon

harrisonsaid

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2022
2 year problem free is no proof of quality as every heater ought to last at least 2 seasons. Two 300 W Jagers for 125 seem to be hazardous if they get stuck in summer. I use only one 300W in my 125 and I leave the AC on in summer vacation to prevent overheating from stuck heater. Jagers recommends lower wattage than comparable brand.
I don't know that I made any indictment of long term quality. I was providing my experience with the jagers in a similar size tank to his. I also don't run them on the built in controller.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
My last five years of renewed fish keeping I initially bought cheaper brands that only lasted around six months. I then switched to Jagers and didn't have any failures.
In my 125gal tanks I used a single 250 as I only had to raise the water by 5 degrees. They were placed vertically near a filter intake.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
My last five years of renewed fish keeping I initially bought cheaper brands that only lasted around six months. I then switched to Jagers and didn't have any failures.
In my 125gal tanks I used a single 250 as I only had to raise the water by 5 degrees. They were placed vertically near a filter intake.
Since my house is set at 70F in winter, my goal is to select heaters that can raise the temp by 5 degree to 10 degree for tanks in the living area and basement. For heaters, more is not better but can be hazardous if the thermostat is stuck ON in summer. More fish are cooked than chilled by heater accidents.

One may miss heater failure for days as few read tank temp routinely. It also takes time to monitor and confirm that a heater is broken. Heater thermostat is the weakest link and tends to drift over time. I would like to find a brand that has stable thermostat that never needs adjustment and beeps me when it expires.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
What I did for spring/summer was unplugged the heaters and remove them from the tanks, letting the temps flow with the air temps. I had no AC so during the hottest days temps would get as high as 85°F. During evening hours the temps would drop back down to the 70s. Much how it would be in the wild.

I don't know of a heater that sends messages to a phone. Think there may be some controlers out there like the ones Inkbird makes that may Bluetooth to your phone and can alert for over/under temps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store