‘Albino Asian Redtail’?

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I’ve recently moved and was browsing the local LFS, ran into the tiniest “albino Asian red tail”, it’s 100% not wyckiiodes. Are these fish often mislabeled H. nemurus or another species?

They seem like a cool fish to keep but it seems hemibagrus can be pretty nasty. I would hate for it to shred up any tankmates. What’s the smallest tank size for H. nemurus/other hemibagrus? I’d assume a 75 for a solo nemurus but have seen conflicting views. Any info on growth rate would also be great. I’m just unsure which sources to follow with so much confusion on identification.

also going to toss in a random catfish question as I don’t feel it deserves it’s own thread. Does anyone know of any medium sized predatory cats that can be grown out in a 20long for 1-2 years? I’ve been extremely interested in the Pac-Man Cats Wes has but I’m sure they’d bust a 20 gallon in no time. I’d love to be proven wrong though

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think it is most likely a nemurus. Albino wyckii or wyckioides cost a fortune. Albino nemurus are farmed for food and cost little.

Our thread: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/posts/7642518

On random q: maybe Chaca chaca then? The query field is too wide or unclear - what do you have in mind as a medium size?

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I think it is most likely a nemurus. Albino wyckii or wyckioides cost a fortune. Albino nemurus are farmed for food and cost little.

Our thread: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/posts/7642518

On random q: maybe Chaca chaca then? The query field is too wide or unclear - what do you have in mind as a medium size?
Thank you, medium to me is under 20 inches, apologies for being unclear. Chaca would be great, I can’t believe I overlooked it. Open to other suggestions. Does anyone know where to source Chaca?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Kirk and Josh both got multiple pacman (2 and 5) just now and have been reporting most thoroughly on them: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/two-new-rare-catfish.749838/

I have not been checking vendor lists for years now, so don't know where to get chaca.

What do you mean by predatory? A cat that in the wild would deem it below its dignity to engage in any kind of scavenging, opportunism, or omnivorism?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
To me there are a number of mislabelled and miss id’d hemibagrus, nemurus being one of them. Equally pcf does not help in wrongly labelling H. nemurus as the Asian redtail catfish, obvious point -it doesn’t have a red tail.
H. Nemurus miss labelling goes back to when the fish was mystus nemurus and before that mixed with mystus docmac

If I am correct, some of the photos of h.nemurus on pcf are actually of h. Capitulum and a couple of h. Capitulum are actually h. Filamentus and importantly some of the fish sold as h. Nemurus are other albino hemibagrus.
I would expect an albino h.nemurus to max out around 10” for males 14” for females but all of this is only my view of fish I have read about, fish I have seen and photos.
Noting that some have kept larger albino hemibagrus than these sizes.

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Kirk and Josh both got multiple pacman (2 and 5) just now and have been reporting most thoroughly on them: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/two-new-rare-catfish.749838/

I have not been checking vendor lists for years now, so don't know where to get chaca.

What do you mean by predatory? A cat that in the wild would deem it below its dignity to engage in any kind of scavenging, opportunism, or omnivorism?
Predatory as in something that isn’t shy to go after larger meaty foods. Some scavenging is fine. I’ve been wanting to branch out in catfish for a while, im currently only down to my A. biscutatus

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If went through a list of catfish we had, I'd name:

Four-line pim, blochii, tetramerus, albofasciatus, maculatus, and other similar Pimelodus

Sun catfish

Bolt catfish

Hemibagrus nemurus and other similarly sized Hemibagrus

Aluminum (Chrysichthys genus) catfish, nigricaudus, ornatus

Horse face catfish

Rhamdia quelen and other similar Heptapteridae

Medium Pseudopims like raninus and other Batrochoglanis, giant bumblebee catfish

Larger Mystus species, e.g. Asian USD catfish, Asian bumblebee cat, etc.

Silurus asotus

Ompok bimaculatus or pabda etc.

Schilbe sp

Acronotus sp

Lima/elongatus shovelnose catfish

Bullheads

Harlequin lancer catfish (not too predatory but a looker)

Gulper catfish

Iron head catfish and other similarly sized driftwood cats

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
If went through a list of catfish we had, I'd name:

Four-line pim, blochii, tetramerus, albofasciatus, maculatus, and other similar Pimelodus

Sun catfish

Bolt catfish

Hemibagrus nemurus and other similarly sized Hemibagrus

Aluminum (Chrysichthys genus) catfish, nigricaudus, ornatus

Horse face catfish

Rhamdia quelen and other similar Heptapteridae

Medium Pseudopims like raninus and other Batrochoglanis, giant bumblebee catfish

Larger Mystus species, e.g. Asian USD catfish, Asian bumblebee cat, etc.

Silurus asotus

Ompok bimaculatus or pabda etc.

Schilbe sp

Acronotus sp

Lima/elongatus shovelnose catfish

Bullheads

Harlequin lancer catfish (not too predatory but a looker)

Gulper catfish

Iron head catfish and other similarly sized driftwood cats
Bullheads and fourline pims have been fun to keep. So were batrochoglanis (I really wish I didn’t lose them)

of the list, mystus, siluris, and ompoks interest me the most.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store